Anybody got Drones

Help Support CattleToday:

cowboy43

Reaction score
Been seeing where the next hobby is going to be drones with cameras, I don't like the idea of just anybody flying over my place spying on me, and maybe using the drone to spot potential items to steal, can't even take a private crap without looking for a drone.
What will happen if one is accidently shot down? Can charges be filed. I can see where they will good for farmers and ranchers, but not for invasion of privacy. Anyone got one or know what the the laws are? :hide:

There's some here. I'll have one someday but right now they are getting better and cheaper.
We will use them mostly for seeing how good we are watering, doing a Rx for plant growth regulator and fertilizer Rx.
A month ago we had a cow out in some thick stuff, we knew close to where she was but couldn't find her. A drone would have been nice for that.

HSUS had one shot down a while back and they tried sueing whoever shot it down. Don;t know the outcome or if they even ever figured out who did us the favor of shooting it down.

There was one here taking picture early one morning at a fishing tournament before take off, it started acting funny and then a propeller flew off of it and the drone went to the bottom of the lake.

I always think of drones as being non-productive members of any group

dun":3fkfcwwx said:
Did you keep bees somewhere along the way? My thought when I read "anybody got drones" was that something was really wrong if there were still drones in the hive this time of year.

cow pollinater":3jyr4imh said:
dun":3jyr4imh said:
Did you keep bees somewhere along the way? My thought when I read "anybody got drones" was that something was really wrong if there were still drones in the hive this time of year.
Nope, just thinking back to some of the people I worked with in the past

Have you noticed the work drones are the ones that do nothing and if they have good personalities and kiss behinds,they get the same raises and get promoted or given the easiest jobs , that is the experience I have had in my career.

cowboy43":2rqdwtde said:
Have you noticed the work drones are the ones that do nothing and if they have good personalities and kiss behinds,they get the same raises and get promoted or given the easiest jobs , that is the experience I have had in my career.

Those promotions have been a tactic over the last several decades. Get them out of the production zone. Over time, they fall out.

Don't like the idea of someone flying drones over my place. Not that there is anything to hide but rather an invasion of privacy. Their was talk at one time that the county had a plane used to see who had new structures on their place so the they could send someone out to assess a new tax rate.

In Caldwell Co. tax appraisers inspect properties yearly , they call in advance to get permission to do so. if you refuse they can raise your property value until you protest, then you have to let them inspect.

give it a year and the drones will get cheaper.it would be nice to have 1 to check cows and pools.to make sure no cows are stuck in the pool.

We may get one to patrol our heifer pasture during calving season. I'd like to see how the black vultures react to them, hope they shoo them away. But they might not.
Our daughters friend has one and they've come a long way in a short time. You can get an app that you just touch a google map screen and give it points to go to. You just turn it loose and it goes to each of the coordinates and then return on its own. With this app, you are limited to how far away you can go and it will not go into any airport boundary. This is information i overheard the guys saying, so, i may not have everything right. But it sounds like it can be as automatic as you want. You can watch it on your phone as it flies, but, when you get the card out of the camera you get high def with it. On your phone its just an ok picture. If you fly it yourself, you can go out further. And what i understand, its only a matter of time where you can no longer buy a drone so if you want one get it soon.
We've looked into it and kind of came up to the conclusion that we'd use it for a while and then tire of it. Although, if it would keep the vultures away, i might would use it a lot during calving season instead of sitting in the hot sun for hours....

They are all different. I think you can build your own and it can go over a mile away. When you have it going to coordinates, its a circle of 500 ft, but i dont know if thats exact... it wasnt much. We figured it would barely go to our heifer pasture if i were sitting in our back yard, i'd need it to go a lot further. A mile wouldnt get all our cows, but it would get most if they were in the right pastures..
They said if you wanted to control it, you could watch on your phone to see where it was going if you couldnt see it in the air. And something about if you just turned your phone off, it would come home on its own..

Are these things so easy to operate that accidents are a non-issue. I don't understand what keeps them from accidentally crashing into someone's house or car.

herofan":2wp77eop said:
Are these things so easy to operate that accidents are a non-issue. I don't understand what keeps them from accidentally crashing into someone's house or car.
Probably either dumb luck or no one admitting that they did it