Anybody glad Christmas is over?

Help Support CattleToday:

The new bride and I had decided not to get each other much of anything. My favorite dress shirt was getting frayed around the collar. She found the same shirt and bought me a new one. My alarm clock decided to quit so she got me a clock radio. We needed a new toaster so she bought a new one and wrapped it up for me to open. She also decided we needed a new ice cube tray so she wrapped it up too. Pretty simple but nice Christmas morning.

Well she went to iron my new shirt. Opening up the ironing board it was screeching so she fogged it down with WD-40. Well the WD-40 soaked through the pad on the ironing board and she ironed WD-40 to the back of my shirt. The clock radio doesn't have an alarm function so it is not so good as an alarm clock which is what I needed. The toaster doesn't fit the entire piece of bread. Only half, then you have to turn the toast over to toast the rest. But it does double toast (burn) a small strip down the middle. However, that ice cube tray seems to be working great. And six months from now when the temperature gets above 40 degrees I will be happy to have ice to put into whatever I am drinking.

Wow Dave...So you're that guy....the one last remaining person on planet Earth that still uses ice trays. I had heard about you--thought you were a myth or old wives tale. Aluminum with the little release lever or the plastic twist tray?
Are you by chance, also the guy that met the guy that met Andy Griffith?

greybeard":18rz53tt said:
Wow Dave...So you're that guy....the one last remaining person on planet Earth that still uses ice trays. I had heard about you--thought you were a myth or old wives tale. Aluminum with the little release lever or the plastic twist tray?

GB, if you lived up here there just isn't nearly as much requirement for ice. Back when I moved into the new house the frig has an ice maker but the fixture on the frig doesn't match the one coming out of the wall and I would need a section of line to reach anyway. I just push the frig into place and didn't worry about hooking it up. I guess someday I should take the time to hook it up...... I think I will stop procrastinating ........ Maybe I will do that next week.

It is the aluminum one with the release lever. The bride bought it brand new so they are still out there on the market. If you want one I can find out where she got it and ship you one.

greybeard":9gih1gsw said:
He;s not the last one. At least I had the wife throw out the aluminum ones last summer.

Dave":c79e2urp said:
It is the aluminum one with the release lever. The bride bought it brand new so they are still out there on the market.

Dave and dun aren't the only ones.

Our fridge is no where near a water source. Our neighbor has one of those wtaer & ice cube deals built in to their fridge. Every time we're over there, they have to open the freezer door, smack the ice around then it will work. Seems its more trouble than using an ice tray. :lol2:

I haven't had one of those in years! All we have are those stupid plastic twist type. I'm always having to replace them due to cracks then they leak. :???:

Where did your bride find it?

dun, where did you get your aluminum ones?

Workinonit Farm":2sguil9c said:
Scrounged from our old refrigerators through the years. I've still got a box full of old style church keys and some of the old bottle openers too. Something has to be pretty well broken beyond any possible use before I throw it out

Bigfoot":2l5qm15h said:
I hate to sound like a Grinch, but other than the true meaning of Christmas, I'm not much on Christmas at all. Wife loves it, and I hate it. It always seems to lead to problems. Somebody didn't get what they wanted. Somebody got more than the other. It's just a big ole pain in the tail. I look forward to it being over and done. Me and the wife got one last argument in today. The kids always get a little cash here and there. She was going to take them shopping after church today. I offered to match every dollar they put in the bank instead of spending. You'd think I strangled a panda the way she was acting. Oh well, it's finally over.

I'm with you, other than the true meaning, Christmas doesn't do much for me anymore. When I was a kid, it was one of the most magical times of my life. I still love the Christmas feel, watching Christmas shows and listening to Christmas music, but I don't care for all the hoopla it's become.

I tried to look at the difference between my childhood Christmas and now and came up with this.

For one, we didn't start decorating in September, and when we did decorate, it wasn't elaborate and draining. It was put up a live tree, hang a wreath here, set out great grandma's little Santa statue there, and string a few lights on the porch.
Grownups didn't participate much when I was a kid. They always felt like the gift part was for kids, so no stress there. I can't believe how seriously grown-ups take gift shopping these days.

We also didn't buy everyone that we knew on the planet a gift; that was for family.
We also didn't have 10 dinners to go to. We had immediate family on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, and that was the big event. We weren't exchanging gifts and eating with 16th cousins.

It's strange that if one doesn't like the stress and hoopla, people call you a scrooge.

I watched the movie A CHRISTMAS STORY I think was the name of it on TV. The kid got the box with his first genuine Red Ryder BB gun.
He was ecstatic with happiness and joy. I can't even remember my first BB gun. But I do know I launched many a BB.
I wish I knew of something that would give me the excitement and joy now that kid had with that gun.
It was a movie and not real. But it could have been.

There are things that I didn't get when I wanted them but did later. People say when you have to wait for something it will mean more to you later. That is not true. It is just not the same. When you really want something the time is "now".
Oh well...There have also been some things that worked out really well.

Ryder":1lfurww1 said:
I watched the movie A CHRISTMAS STORY I think was the name of it on TV. The kid got the box with his first genuine Red Ryder BB gun.
He was ecstatic with happiness and joy. I can't even remember my first BB gun. But I do know I launched many a BB.
I wish I knew of something that would give me the excitement and joy now that kid had with that gun.

There are things that I didn't get when I wanted them but did later. People say when you have to wait for something it will mean more to you later. That is not true. It is just not the same. When you really want something the time is "now".
Oh well...

Best Christmas movie ever.

Ryder":2gaz35nl said:

Oh well...There have also been some things that worked out really well.

You don't have to explain that--most of us here either currently are or have been at one time....married.
(come to think about it tho, the same held true when I was young and still fully engaged in the happiness of pursuit.)

Workinonit Farm":1251fyv8 said:
Dave":1251fyv8 said:
It is the aluminum one with the release lever. The bride bought it brand new so they are still out there on the market.

Dave and dun aren't the only ones.

Our fridge is no where near a water source. Our neighbor has one of those wtaer & ice cube deals built in to their fridge. Every time we're over there, they have to open the freezer door, smack the ice around then it will work. Seems its more trouble than using an ice tray. :lol2:

I haven't had one of those in years! All we have are those stupid plastic twist type. I'm always having to replace them due to cracks then they leak. :???:

Where did your bride find it?

dun, where did you get your aluminum ones?[/quote ) 5678:/
I use ice cube bags, I like the shapes they make, and you can get more in the freezer.

Workinonit Farm":14pi22vu said:
Might look at one of the thrift stores. Amazing some of the junk they have sitting around

Latest posts