Anybody ever...

Help Support CattleToday:

Miss Daisy

Reaction score
trained their cattle to be ridden? I have seen this a time or two, a woman riding a longhorn steer, saddle, bridle and everything. Anyone ever tried this? (other than hopping on a 4h steer or old bottle cow just to see what happens)

Had an old cow I rode bareback. Not recommended, theat bony back and my bony backside didn;t work out to well. Never could ger to neck rein only buggy rein.

dun":1reoyrdr said:
Had an old cow I rode bareback. Not recommended, theat bony back and my bony backside didn;t work out to well. Never could ger to neck rein only buggy rein.
Dun, I had heard my Ex Wife was in your neck of the woods. :shock:

There was a man, some time ago around here, that had a Brahman bull he raised and taught to be ridden. For a hundred dollars or so, he'd bring it to outdoor ranch weddings for the bride to ride to the alter. Haven't seen or heard anything about him for some time now.

When I was young and too stupid to know better I broke horses. Ate so much ground I probably got enough dirt still in my stomach to grow sweet taters. Never tried bull riding.

When I was a child I rode my brothers Hereford cow, I wanted a horse, she was the best I could come up with. Put a halter on her and two lead ropes and I had a bunch of fun pretending she was "Buttermilk" (Dale Evan's horse) I don't know why but she didn't seem to mind at all. Dad and my brother had a fit when they first saw what I was doing, warned me that I was gonna get hurt. She was a good girl, big ol horned Hereford. (Should add this was MANY MANY years ago).

Never done it myself but have seen the spanish boys hop on a brahman bull's back and ride them to the dairybarn when bringing the cattle in to milk.

We used to ride a bull once in awhile, and had 1 cow that didn't seem to mind being rode around the pasture. We even used to sneak out and ride the pigs, until Dad caught us one time. He said, we got a pasture full of horses and these d_ mn kids ride my sows and butcher hogs. That ended that.

never2old2learn-ron":2dt1are8 said:
We even used to sneak out and ride the pigs.
Pigs are a crazy ride and hard to stay on!! Man, I'd forgotten all about that.

We had an angus cow you could sit or lay on her back, but she wouldn't go anywhere.

A freind of mine rode hogs as well. (accidently though)
Newly married him and his sweet new wife (4 months pregnant) were sorting fat hogs, and a hog chose the path where his wife was standing :shock: . He stated that with all the hooping and hoolering going on, he thinks they both really enjoyed it as they went up the alley. :lol2:

When I was 9 or 10 my uncle used to put me and my cousin up on his Hereford bull and lead us around, but he wasn't trained, just real gentle. Somewhere there's a picture of it.

When I was 9 or 10 my uncle used to put me and my cousin up on his Hereford bull and lead us around, but he wasn't trained, just real gentle. Somewhere there's a picture of it

do you remember the bulls name by chance ?

my wife use to ride hereford bull named hambuger and she thuoght maybe you might have been a cousin !

onecowfarms1":2cvc277s said:
my wife use to ride hereford bull named hambuger and she thuoght maybe you might have been a cousin !

:lol: Don't think so. I'm pretty sure this bull didn't have a name. If it did, I'd probably remember it. Besides, this would have been in the mid-60's in Wisconsin.

Back in the late 60 when we stated we had Brahmas, my son was 4 or 5 had the grey bulls set him up on them they would let him ride and we have set on them. When the females had babies you were safer on their back than in the pasture walking.

When my boys were younger, 9 and 10, they used to fish in the stock pond until early evening, then hitch a ride on an old baldy cow, on her way up to the barn. They used the poles to try to hurry her along. They thought I didn't know. One evening she decided to wade out in the pond for awhile first and they had to sneek to the house covered in mud. They left her alone after that.

I raised an orphan that I decided to train to ride. She was pretty good. I was training her to turn by touch. Then she got sick on me. Ended up being diagnosed with a heart problem and I lost her. :(

I was at a 4 -H fundraiser where they let us sit on a bull's back and walked him around. the bull was really big and you really had to stretch to get your legs over him.
I've ridden pigs too, accidentally and purposely. Seems whenever sit on 'em and want em to move, they don't go anywhere. i've put little kids on sheep, too. usually my brothers and sisters :D

Latest posts