Anybody ever put a goosneck hitch on a dump bed?

Help Support CattleToday:

hillbilly beef man

Reaction score
I have been looking at a F350 with a dump bed on it and I was wondering if anyone has had a dump bed with a gooseneck in it? Are there any problems that I would run into mounting a hitch? Thanks.

First thing would be that the hitch bolts to the frame and inorder to operate the dump you would have to cut a hole in the dump bed and then the dump would not hold dirt or stone very well.

Depends on what type of dump bed. If it's a dirt/gravel dump with sides the sides may be too tall and the hoist will more than likely be right where you need to put the ball. If it's a flatbed that somebody has stuck a hoist under the ball is usually attached to the bed itself on a crossmember between the framerails. Some folks like to put removeable pins on the front of the bedframe to secure it from raising up when the trailer is loaded, just don't try to dump it without removing the pins.

Red Bull Breeder":2usav7i3 said:
Them cannonball hay beds use the bale arms to dump. Like cfpinz said would depend on the type of bed it is.

I've never used a Cannonball but I've eyeballed them at the farm shows from time to time. If memory serves me correct, they have a seperate hoist system under the truck and the arms stay put along the side of the bed - but they both run off the same hydraulic system. I think their supplied hydraulic system is an electric over hydraulic unit, the local man around here that sells them uses the engine-mounted hydraulic packs from a Deweze bed to run them, much better than the electric units.

cfpinz":1thm6fvc said:
Red Bull Breeder":1thm6fvc said:
Them cannonball hay beds use the bale arms to dump. Like cfpinz said would depend on the type of bed it is.

I've never used a Cannonball but I've eyeballed them at the farm shows from time to time. If memory serves me correct, they have a seperate hoist system under the truck and the arms stay put along the side of the bed - but they both run off the same hydraulic system. I think their supplied hydraulic system is an electric over hydraulic unit, the local man around here that sells them uses the engine-mounted hydraulic packs from a Deweze bed to run them, much better than the electric units.
CF
The arms lock into the side of the bed and that is what makes the bed dump
on a cannonball you have to widen the arms before unfolding them (unlike a dew eze or Besler)or else the bed dumps all 1 set of cylinders and 1 hydraulic system

and the only ones I have seen are electric over hyd on the cannonballs but I don't know why you couldn't run an engine mount pump

I have had both elec and engine mounts on dew eze I lke the engine mount best as it is faster
the elec ones are hard on batteries IMO had to replace them every yr it seemed like

I am gonna buy an electric pump and hook itup on my reg flatbed so I can pull my inline hay trailer with it also. I hooked it up for hyd dump and it make sit nice because wife could dump it but couldn't get it back to latch position and with hyd it also speeds hauling up because you never have to get out of the trk

Angus Cowman":ccldw4kk said:
CF
on a cannonball you have to widen the arms before unfolding them (unlike a dew eze or Besler)or else the bed dumps all 1 set of cylinders and 1 hydraulic system

Thanks for the explanation, I'd never paid that close of attention. Are cannonballs the ones where you can control each arm individually in/out?

cfpinz":clqf33v6 said:
Angus Cowman":clqf33v6 said:
CF

Thanks for the explanation, I'd never paid that close of attention. Are cannonballs the ones where you can control each arm individually in/out?
I beleive so,a buddy has one and the wife says her next one is gonna be a cannonball so looks like I am stuck with the dew eze

Yes I did put a gooseneck hitch in a older Chevy 1 ton. the hitch I built was welded to the crossmembers of the dump bed so I added some short chains to the front corners of the bed to keep it from trying to dump itself when a hard pull.

Why couldn't you just cut a hole in the bed to go over the ball. With extra height of the dump bed you could just put a plate over it. If the ball is higher than the floor then put a box over it. You could even leave it open around the ball for that matter if what you are hauling is large enough not to run through.

Latest posts