Anybody else like beet roots?

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent

Reaction score
Started out this morning early with 12 gallon of beet roots and finished up with 28 quarts of beets canned.

49YMjRg.jpg

Fh4zDkZ.jpg

ZSXelNO.jpg

ukjzRwI.jpg

kenny thomas":2g40ms2m said:
You won't have to worry about me stealing them. Never liked them.

I have noticed that you either like them or not there is no in between. Fixed right they are good IMO.
picture-1505.gif

jltrent":3a1yog1l said:
I have noticed that you either like them or not there is no in between. Fixed right they are good IMO.
picture-1505.gif

Guess I'm different cause I can take them or leave them. The wife won't eat them pickled, so she either boils or bakes them. If they are on the table I'll probably eat one.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide ... s-beetroot

Whether you roast it whole, blend into a classic soup or drink as juice like the Olympians do - beetroot is low in fat, full of vitamins and minerals and packed with powerful antioxidants - a health-food titan.
Beetroot
An introduction to beetroot

Like many modern vegetables, beetroot was first cultivated by the Romans. By the 19th century it held great commercial value when it was discovered that beets could be converted into sugar. Today, the leading commercial producers include the USA, Russia, France, Poland and Germany. Many classic beetroot recipes are associated with central and Eastern Europe including the famous beetroot soup known as borscht. Beetroot's earthy charm has resulted in its ubiquitous influence on fashionable menus and recipes. Its delicious but distinctive flavour and nutritional status have escalated it to the root you can't beat!
Belonging to the same family as chard and spinach, both the leaves and root can be eaten - the leaves have a bitter taste whereas the round root is sweet. Typically a rich purple colour, beetroot can also be white or golden. Due to its high sugar content, beetroot is delicious eaten raw but is more typically cooked or pickled.
SpinachNutritional highlights

Beetroot is of exceptional nutritional value; especially the greens, which are rich in calcium, iron and vitamins A and C. Beetroots are an excellent source of folic acid and a very good source of fibre, manganese and potassium. The greens should not be overlooked; they can be cooked up and enjoyed in the same way as spinach.

A 100g serving of raw beets provides:
43 calories 2g protein 0g fat 10 carbohydrate 3g fibre

A history of health

Beetroots have long been used for medicinal purposes, primarily for disorders of the liver as they help to stimulate the liver's detoxification processes. The plant pigment that gives beetroot its rich, purple-crimson colour is betacyanin; a powerful agent, thought to suppress the development of some types of cancer.
Beetroot is rich in fibre, exerting favourable effects on bowel function, which may assist in preventing constipation and help to lower cholesterol levels too.
ResearchBeetroot shots with tarragon yogurt ice cubes

Beetroot fibre has been shown to increase the level of antioxidant enzymes in the body, (specifically one called glutathione peroxidase), as well as increase the number of white blood cells, which are responsible for detecting and eliminating abnormal cells. Beets are also one of the richest sources of glutamine, an amino acid, essential to the health and maintenance of the intestinal tract.
Other studies have looked at the effect of beetroot juice on blood pressure. A reduction in blood pressure is beneficial for the avoidance of heart disease and stroke. Studies state that nitrate rich foods like beetroot may help in heart attack survival.
Beetroot juice has gained popularity since Paralympic gold medalist David Weir announced that a shot of the juice was his secret to success.
How to select and store

Good quality, fresh beetroots should have their greens intact. The greens should be fresh-looking with no signs of spoilage. The beetroot should be firm, smooth, and a vibrant red-purple, not soft, wrinkled or dull in colour. Fresh beets with the greens attached can be stored for three to four days in the fridge, but beets with the greens removed can be stored in the fridge for two to four weeks. Raw beets do not freeze well since they tend to become soft on thawing. Freezing cooked beetroot is fine as it retains its flavour and texture.
Hot beetroot saladTip:
Slightly limp greens can be restored to freshness if stored in the refrigerator in water. However, if it's too late, you can simply cut them off.
Wash beets gently under cool running water, taking care not to tear the skin. It is this tough outer layer that helps keep most of the beetroot's pigments inside the vegetable. The leaves can be steamed lightly to retain their nutritional quality. When boiling beetroot, leave the beets with their root ends and one inch of stem attached and don't peel them until after cooking since beet juice can stain your skin.
Tip:
If your hands become stained during preparation and cooking beetroot, rub some lemon juice over them to help remove the colour.
Though available year round, beets are sweetest and most tender during their peak season, from June to October. Beets are enjoying a resurgence in popularity among modern chefs. While heirloom varieties like white and golden yellow beets make for pretty dishes, only red beets have the cancer-fighting compound betacyanin.
Beetroot saladSafety

For some people, eating beetroot may induce beeturia; a red or pink colour in the urine or stool. It is totally harmless! Beet greens and, to a lesser extent, the roots contain high levels of oxolate. Individuals with a history of oxalate-containing kidney stones should avoid over-consuming beetroot.

One of my favorite foods. I eat them almost daily. I often take a drink of the pickle juice to quench thirst.

Love cooked any way but roasted is the best. Throw a few in a gallon ziplock bag with some olive oil and coarse sea salt , toss em around a bit and then throw em into a glass baking dish at 300 until soft to the fork.....Excellent

I eat beet root because of it's numerous health benefits, including improved blood flow and lower blood pressure. it is also rich in antioxidants that help prevent cancer and fight inflammation.

nimblebowls":1sadr4x9 said:
I eat beet root because of it's numerous health benefits, including improved blood flow and lower blood pressure. it is also rich in antioxidants that help prevent cancer and fight inflammation.
I ate bout a pint today. It seems the more you eat the better they are. Next year I am putting out a lot more, instead of 28 quarts maybe make 50 quarts.

nimblebowls":31o795hw said:

You REALLY need to rethink that username :shock:

Started on another crop of beets. About six hours work and had 27 quarts sealed. A lot of work, but much better tasting than store bought. It was to hot to do anything outside today so got these done. The wife was off work, but had other things to do, so not much help there. I ran them through the canner/cooker on 5 lbs., so they would seal good and the juice would be cooked in good.
mpOLe6V.jpg

X7exnAU.jpg

pJF96wZ.jpg

iGLFRoJ.jpg

tKLaXTi.jpg

Latest posts