Anybody coon hunting?

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas

Reaction score
I went tonight. Dog acted like he had never been after a coon before. Has not been hunted since early Feb. so I hope thats it. Say 2 run by me out of the corn field and he never got either treed. Maybe better luck tomorrow night.

About 2 hours west of Tazewell. I worked a big fire in a swamp near Plymouth NC last year. More bear, and big bear, than I have ever seen anywhere. In two weeks I saw 52. Are you near there?

I have a stupid question. How does a big fire burn in a swamp? I have never been to a swamp, but assumed everthing would be wet or at least very damp there?

During severe drought in the south many of the swamps dry completely up. I was on a fire on the georgia/florida line a couple of years ago that burned 480,000 acres. Burns down in the peat and muck for weeks or usually until a hurricane comes. The one in NC 43,000 acres was burning down 6ft in many places. If you wonder why it matters when it gets to dry land it takes off through the timber.

Kenny,

What are you doing hunting coon in the summer? Everyone knows you only coon hunt in the winter. You know, like you only eat fresh oysters in months ending in "R". Get it right man!

cypressfarms":2ntuqzd8 said:
Kenny,

What are you doing hunting coon in the summer? Everyone knows you only coon hunt in the winter. You know, like you only eat fresh oysters in months ending in "R". Get it right man!

AND...only on days that end in "Y".

Season opened here last Friday night. No snakes here except in the mountains. Corn fields all are ready and people are catching them in their gardens. Great time to hunt if it gets cool at night. Will be 60 here tonight so I might have to get up at 4 and hunt till daylight. This year the UKC World Championship is only 30 miles from here so I have to get ready. Sure would hate to hunt where there are snakes, gators, sketters. No we don't have sketters here either.

kenny thomas":1vvrs2t5 said:
Will be 60 here tonight

Man, we won't see 60 until probably November, maybe late October. I can remember as a kid dressing up for halloween and within 30 minutes pulling everything off because it was so hot. I like coon hunting, though, last year was my son's first coon hunting year. It's so easy to drive through the pastures with the mule and shine the huge light and pick them off with the trusty .22 - Seems like when I was younger we walked , walked, walked, and then walked some more.

Not much walking here until they tree. Turn them loose, sit down on the tailgate and wait for the race. Only problem is there is only two directions they can go, up and down. Either way I get some exercise.

our season don't open til Nov.
I have trailed them ol dogs many a mile in when I was a kid and up into my 20s but I had my old dog die and I gave it up and I am probably too fat now also got to where we didnt have many coons for several yrs or newbies bought land and we lost alot of ground that we could hunt

Angus Cowman":1gu8t78s said:
got to where we didnt have many coons for several yrs

Down here the hurricanes will do a number on the coon, squirrel and many other animal populations. I still don't find that we have as many squirrels as we did before Katrina, and that was 4 years ago.

cypressfarms":39o36tz2 said:
Angus Cowman":39o36tz2 said:
got to where we didnt have many coons for several yrs

Down here the hurricanes will do a number on the coon, squirrel and many other animal populations. I still don't find that we have as many squirrels as we did before Katrina, and that was 4 years ago.

Mercy Cypress...has it already been that long?? We still have some of those "varmits" hanging around up here. :lol2:

Are you by anyways around Dickinson or Scott County, Kenny or maybe around Wise

kenny thomas, I grew up in LA, Lower Alabama. Currently live in the Birmingham area. However, one summer in college I had the good fortune of working in Dickenson, and Scott County. I was staying in Wise at that notorious establishement of an Inn there. If I knew then what I kinow now I probably would not have stayed at that establishment. But as they say God looks out for fools and babies. I met some really nice folks up there, some that were not so nice but you have those everywhere. For the most part people accepted me, almost as one of their own except they clamed I had a "Real Southern" accent. It is amazing how, what is a liablility in some cases can become a benefit in the right circumstances. That "Real Southern" accent served me well, so well in fact that I exagerated it and by the time I came home my family could not stand it.

I stayed at a Holiday Inn in Birmingham last year and they told us not to walk outside the fence at night. Had guards watching the parking lot. They said the slums started next door. Very nice place to stay otherwise. What did you do in VA.

I was in sales, straight commission.
You know those "annoying college students that sell educational books, Home Health Books, Bibles, Veggie Tale Books, Adventures in Oddessy Video's. That was my first non farm job the summer of my Freshman year in College. I did it to prove I could make syrvive by myself without working on the farms of different neighbors and realtives. I will say this about that summer I learned alot about people, even more about myself. I would not trade that expereince that summer for anything and I think it should sort of be a right of passage for teenagers. Nothing like leaving home for the first time, with a tank full of gas, twenty dollars in your pocket, finding a place to live, sending all you money in to the company so you don't spend it (so you have a paycheck at the the end of the summer) except what you need to eat for a day and to fill your car up each week. Most importantly it brought me closser to my family, I learned real quick about sacrifice and lean times and learned to appreciate the sacrifices my parents made while I was growing up. I learned that you have to get through the bad to enjoy the good. Kind of like the song "when you hot your hat and when your not your not". I was able to put enough aside for the next years tuition, but more than the money I learned about life an sort of broke through the fence I grew up in in South Alabama and South Mississppi

kenny thomas":2hmv3oot said:
About 2 hours west of Tazewell. I worked a big fire in a swamp near Plymouth NC last year. More bear, and big bear, than I have ever seen anywhere. In two weeks I saw 52. Are you near there?
About 3 hrs---- We hunt in Hyde Co.---- Several more up there, but have great bear right around the house !! :wave:

Latest posts