Any Update on Charlo

Help Support CattleToday:

gizmom said:
We have used Charlo quite a bit at this point. The negatives he will put some snort in them not extreme but certainly not docile. We weed out temperament at weaning so far none have got worse as they aged the temperament has shown up early. He will reduce frame size but matching him up to the right female just works. His sons are extremely easy to sell and his daughters are going to be his ultimate legacy. They breed up wean excellent calves, maintain condition and have beautiful udders. We just delivered a cow to Bickett Genetics that we have flushed twice to Charlo in the past the first flush this go round will be back to Charlo. The first flush I got 8 calves 7 bulls and one heifer. The heifer weaned her first calf with a 101 ratio bred back AI first time through the chute. Her 7 flush brothers were the first 7 bulls sold as long yearlings. One of my best bull calves again this year is out of the 2nd flush to Charlo and 0524 but this year I got 3 heifer calves and only one bull. Our son pulled one of the heifers up to halter break but turned her back out to much heat for an 8 year old, not crazy but definitely not docile. Hopefully I can get some additional eggs in the tank.

Gizmom

Thanks much.

I would like to take the frame size of my cows down a tick and tighten up udders. I am concerned about calving ease maternal. I don't need docile but can't stand crazy. I would like to improve feed efficiency but mostly would like to get to a cow herd that can get by with less and if I need to sell some bulls with more leg, then I will use the sire to add the leg and not the dam.

My cows are 6 frame now sired by Thunder, CC&7, Hoover Dam, Sub Zero, Double Vision. Most of my money comes from selling bulls. Most buyers like a 6 frame but I wonder if I can take the cow size down as I said and get the calf frame with the bull. Also, all my bulls sell as 18+ mo as I calve in the fall and most my customers calve in spring. Gives the bulls some age without having to push them as hard to mature.

We have used Charlo quite a bit at this point. The negatives he will put some snort in them not extreme but certainly not docile. We weed out temperament at weaning so far none have got worse as they aged the temperament has shown up early. He will reduce frame size but matching him up to the right female just works. His sons are extremely easy to sell and his daughters are going to be his ultimate legacy. They breed up wean excellent calves, maintain condition and have beautiful udders. We just delivered a cow to Bickett Genetics that we have flushed twice to Charlo in the past the first flush this go round will be back to Charlo. The first flush I got 8 calves 7 bulls and one heifer. The heifer weaned her first calf with a 101 ratio bred back AI first time through the chute. Her 7 flush brothers were the first 7 bulls sold as long yearlings. One of my best bull calves again this year is out of the 2nd flush to Charlo and 0524 but this year I got 3 heifer calves and only one bull. Our son pulled one of the heifers up to halter break but turned her back out to much heat for an 8 year old, not crazy but definitely not docile. Hopefully I can get some additional eggs in the tank.

Gizmom
Well I have a half dozen trial balloons that are approaching weaning. I have a small herd (20 cows) and they see me regularly so maybe that helps but they are as quiet as can be. Solid build beefy fellas too that all look like "bulls" already. Using him on Thunder and CC&7 breeding. Only got one heifer out of the group. Seems like my best heifer this year but she is a tick more standoff ish than her brothers. I'll use him again.

Gizmom
Gizmom - are you now calving any Charlo females? Are you seeing any pregnancy or calving issues as his EPDs would suggest? This message seems to suggest your Charlo heifers aren't terribly more problematic than others?

If you want accuracy use GAR Sure Fire. Tightens up udders, good teats,calving ease, docile, and we have hundreds from those breedings to back it up. My new 16 month old Sure Fire son.
WP_20201206_09_02_40_Pro (2).jpg

Thanks much.

I would like to take the frame size of my cows down a tick and tighten up udders. I am concerned about calving ease maternal. I don't need docile but can't stand crazy. I would like to improve feed efficiency but mostly would like to get to a cow herd that can get by with less and if I need to sell some bulls with more leg, then I will use the sire to add the leg and not the dam.

My cows are 6 frame now sired by Thunder, CC&7, Hoover Dam, Sub Zero, Double Vision. Most of my money comes from selling bulls. Most buyers like a 6 frame but I wonder if I can take the cow size down as I said and get the calf frame with the bull. Also, all my bulls sell as 18+ mo as I calve in the fall and most my customers calve in spring. Gives the bulls some age without having to push them as hard to mature.
How do you like your double vision cows?

Thanks much.

My cows are 6 frame now sired by Thunder, CC&7, Hoover Dam, Sub Zero, Double Vision. Most of my money comes from selling bulls. Most buyers like a 6 frame but I wonder if I can take the cow size down as I said and get the calf frame with the bull. Also, all my bulls sell as 18+ mo as I calve in the fall and most my customers calve in spring. Gives the bulls some age without having to push them as hard to mature

Try using more docile Charlo sons ( Bravo or Engage) that have more frame. Charlo is excellent but clearly small frame and has some docility issues.
Thanks much.

Try Bravo or Engage - more docile and more frame.

Thanks I will look. My Charlo calves are extremely docile. I know the EPDs say they shouldn't be but docility isn't my issue with Charlo now. More concerned about heifer pregnancy and calving ease maternal - which is why I was tagging Gizmom on those issues since I think she may have heifers in production.

The other "issue" I have is Charlo seems to produce a ton of great sons. I know there are value in those sons, but I always wonder - if my goal is to produce great bulls, why not go to the source (Charlo)? Also, can Bravo and Engage really have enough proof to say calving ease maternal is any better? I don't know...

The other "issue" I have is Charlo seems to produce a ton of great sons. I know there are value in those sons, but I always wonder - if my goal is to produce great bulls, why not go to the source (Charlo)? Also, can Bravo and Engage really have enough proof to say calving ease maternal is any better? I don't know...
Data on the sons is not too accurate. I am a big fan of Charlo. He really stamps his progeny. I have found legs and feet of his calves are very impressive too. Docility issue: A breeder friend told me that 1 out of 5 Charlo bulls had too be slaughtered. I have three heifers. One is wild. She had twins from Baldridge Hickory - two really beautiful heifers. The Charlo Mother is okay with the herd - wild when alone. She is a bit milder as the calves have gotten older.

The Charlo Mother is okay with the herd - wild when alone. She is a bit milder as the calves have gotten older.
When docility is valued its frustrating when properly handled cattle cattle rebel. That said I've had otherwise gentle cattle who weren't comfortable in isolation as well as those who didn't take kindly to human interference when newly calved. All things considered, you have to pick your poison. :LOL:

Opening this one back up. Found a Charlo X OCC Homer bull. That's a lot of OCC in the mix, which is the direction I'm wanting to go. SimAngus cows, mostly moderate, a few smaller framed girls. What would the Homer influence bring to the mix?

I've never used Homer, but I did use OCC No Problems, I'm pretty sure he was a full brother to Homer. I used him mostly on heifers, but one year I used him on the older cows and saved about 10 daughters. They are now 5 years old and have become some of my best cows. They are small (1000-1100 lbs in good condition) but they wean a nice calf, breed back, and they just seem like the type that will keep doing their job for a while.

Charlo has died so I imagine his semen price will go up. I used him again this year I sure liked what he offered. I still have quite a bit of semen on the bull and will continue using him as I have said his daughters will be his ultimate legacy they are just beautifully made females with picture perfect udders.

No idea other than he is deceased if I had to guess and it's just a wag (wild ass guess) collecting one at 11 years old and as many times as that bull has not only been collected but been used natural service he could of got injured during collection. Again just a WAG!

Last edited:

Latest posts