Any tips?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have a 5 month old full blooded French Limo. bull. This is the first time I've raised a bull for show. I've only raised steers in the past. Does anyone have any tips on the best ways to get them ready for show and exercise, or anything else. I'll take all the tips I can get.

[email protected]

Don't feed as heavy a "finishing" ration as a steer, and don't feed whole cotton seed (not good for reproductive development on bulls). Don't forget he's a bull! Don't pet his head, or let him bob his head at you. Also, I would ring his nose. Many fairs require a bull to have a nose ring, plus it's good practice to show a bull of any age with a ring. He needs exercise just like any animal. We keep our showstring in the barn during the day, but they are turned out to play at night. Jeanne <A HREF="http://www.SimmeValley.com" TARGET="_blank">http://www.SimmeValley.com</A>

> I have a 5 month old full blooded
> French Limo. bull. This is the
> first time I've raised a bull for
> show. I've only raised steers in
> the past. Does anyone have any
> tips on the best ways to get them
> ready for show and exercise, or
> anything else. I'll take all the
> tips I can get.

[email protected]

I don't have any "showing" tips but I agree with Jeane -- definitely no cotton seed should be fed to a developing bull. If for some reason you decide to keep him as a possible breeding bull may I offer this bit of advice that was handed down from my grandpa and dad (which I have found to be very sound advise): no matter how "tame" you think he is, you should never fully trust a bull -- always keep your eye on him and have a healthy amount of respect for the damage he can do to you if the mood strikes him -- particularly in pens, catch traps and around cows in heat. There are folks hurt, and even killed, every year by "tame" bulls.

Have a 2 yo bull that was raised only with other bulls reserved for breeding. He has been placed in a pasture with heifers only and has been nursing on the heifers. Two have died from mastitis. Would a nose ring help? Any other suggestions? Maybe pasturing him with cows instead of heifers?

Have a 2 yo bull that was raised only with other bulls reserved for breeding. He has been placed in a pasture with heifers only and has been nursing on the heifers. Two have died from mastitis. Would a nose ring help? Any other suggestions? Maybe pasturing him with cows instead of heifers?
do you want those heifers bred by him? because that is going to happen too.
this might be better than a plain ring -

1656523552246.png

Use a Crown weaning ring 1656523513235.png That will slow down his nursing.
That said, a bull that killed two hfrs would be on the fast track to getting his head cut off.

I have a 5 month old full blooded French Limo. bull. This is the first time I've raised a bull for show. I've only raised steers in the past. Does anyone have any tips on the best ways to get them ready for show and exercise, or anything else. [I'll take all the tips I can get.]

[email protected]
Don't !

You resurrected a thread from the board in its infancy?
The board didn't have 200 membership at that time and you could post as a guest.

Latest posts