Any tips on dispatching a Bovine?

Help Support CattleToday:

bverellen

Reaction score
This Saturday we will be harvesting our first Beeve, she is a three year old heifer with a bad attitude and since work is slow and the wife would feel better with a freezer full of beef, this particular heifer qualifies.

We will be quartering her and hanging the carcass in a cooler for a week, thereafter an Old School Butcher is going to show us how to butcher the animal 90% boned out while being able to get quality cuts of meat. This was the way before the advent of using power bandsaws to cut a beeve up.

Anyway, while I have shot animals before, I would like to know if there is any tips on bullet placement in relationship to a direct frontal shot, most likeley while her head is down and she is munching on a last meal of sweet feed.

Most any common caliber is at my disposal.

Thanks in Advance.....

Draw an imaginary X from the base of each ear to the opposit eye. Put the bullet in the cross part of the X. 22 LR on up will work

bverellen":22h0dczt said:
most likeley while her head is down and she is munching on a last meal of sweet feed.

I personally don't feed them for the last 24 hours before killing. It's just that much more that you have to dispose of......

Thanks for the quick replies.

Dunn, that is about the way it was explained to me once, you just confirmed it for me.

Grannysoo, She's not going to get fed per say, I generally bring a half bag of feed or small bale of hay whenever I go to the pens, they all follow me like I was the Pied Piper, even the new stockers. No need to act like it was any different of a day when I go to do the deed.

Novatech, I was already guessing she might not be choice, but she is a problem and it'll save me a 1 1/2 hour trip to the sale barn that I don't need to make right now. I'm hoping the hanging will help a bit.

<///><

Hang her as long as you can then have the butcher cut out a couple of steak from the loin. If they're tough/chewey, grind her, if they arent, just cut her like you would anything else

dun":3pskvq21 said:
Draw an imaginary X from the base of each ear to the opposit eye. Put the bullet in the cross part of the X. 22 LR on up will work

This is exactly what the vet told me. Except I might choose a higher calibre just to make sure it's done quick.

BeefmasterB":19rcc66a said:
dun":19rcc66a said:

This is exactly what the vet told me. Except I might choose a higher calibre just to make sure it's done quick.

What's quicker then instantaneous?

If you can drop her before she gets worked up you will have a more tender carcass (no adrenaline). Best thing to do is just act like nothing's going on. It's hard because flighty cows can smell a rat.

dun":qfz4w9qk said:

That's what i do and it works like a charm.

Don't forget to drive a VERY sharp knife into the jugular to get a good bleed-out.

Katherine

the way i've always done it is to aim either side of the intersection in the "x". i also prefer a .22 mag little more power yet not too much,anything larger and the bullet will end up in the neck/shoulder.make the first shot count the second shot is no fun.

Posted this on another thread, our home slaughter outfit has always used a 22 mag (not a hollow point) between he eyes.... I never asked but I'm sure he uses the X..... but then he has done a few (100) kills.

Alan

Alan":1717pu7a said:
Posted this on another thread, our home slaughter outfit has always used a 22 mag (not a hollow point) between he eyes.... I never asked but I'm sure he uses the X..... but then he has done a few (100) kills.

Alan
I use 22 mag hollow points. I was maybe lucky. Next one will get the solid.

Neighbor used a 30-06 really :shock: Sot the steer while it was looking straight on. Yup you guessed it. bloodshot meat all the way into the shoulder.

Brute 23":3knvfmwy said:
I used a .22 mag one time right between the eyes and did not like the results. Not sure what went on but I won't do it again. Every since then its been the 30-30.
Yup. I agree. A 30-30 is a better caliber for shooting them in the face. Some have pretty thick skulls for a .22