Any tips on changing a water pump on a 2006 Duramax?

Help Support CattleToday:

True Grit Farms

Reaction score
Changing a water pump on a Duramax is a engineering marvel. I've found a few tips on cutting the time down on YouTube, but the shop time is 6 to 8 hours to change the water pump and that's extremely frustrating when your in a hurry. I'm sure there must be a easier way.

dieselbeef":3re342zb said:
pull the cab?

That's why I bought this truck in the first plac DB. My Furd 6.0 blew a head gasket, and Dodge couldn't build a automatic that would hold up to towing. Changing this water pump bs, and I thought cutting the fender well out to change the fuel filter stunk.

True Grit Farms":goiyzd5z said:
Changing a water pump on a Duramax is a engineering marvel. I've found a few tips on cutting the time down on YouTube, but the shop time is 6 to 8 hours to change the water pump and that's extremely frustrating when your in a hurry. I'm sure there must be a easier way.

I have a water pump issue in my 07 duramax......what a dumb azz design! Why the heck would power the water pump off a timing gear! What was wrong with a belt driven pump! Mine is going to a diesel mechanic

True Grit Farms":lvc13k1u said:
dieselbeef":lvc13k1u said:
pull the cab?

That's why I bought this truck in the first plac DB. My Furd 6.0 blew a head gasket, and Dodge couldn't build a automatic that would hold up to towing. Changing this water pump bs, and I thought cutting the fender well out to change the fuel filter stunk.
It's really bad when it's faster and cheaper to replace a Dodge automatic than the Chevy water pump :p

jedstivers":26kr0so4 said:
A 06 is a really good duramax. If you decide to throw the whole truck away just let me know. I'll come get it. Bad water pump and all.

So far the transmission hasn't given us any problems...yet. This truck has been the worst for nickel and diming us to death. Even the limited slip rear end is wore out. My Ford 6.0 stunk engine wise, but was a good truck compared to this thing. The truck just won't hold up to being overloaded.

Latest posts