Any thoughts on this old bull????

Help Support CattleToday:

WichitaLineMan

Reaction score
4153333826_d3f3035a6c_b.jpg

Not my cup of tea. Was he in the era where the race for frame started by any chance?

>>Was he in the era where the race for frame started by any chance?<<

I think you could say that. He was born in 1975. I don't think his breeder was a frame chaser. His breeder was a "Performance" breeder, however.

I could have titled this post differently and gotten a lot of opinions and looks.

He definitely bred better than his picture portrays him. I NEVER liked the picture, but you can't deny the actual results. Growth plus maternal traits.

Edited to add: Yes, the picture was taken after the frame race was in full swing - and in retrospect I'd say it was taken to appeal to those in that "race". I've often wondered since - what other pictures are around on this bull? - and did he indeed look like this in person?

George

If you look at his performance pedigree his progeny average frame was 4.XX. (Of course cows were smaller then as well).

I think the picture was taken low to make him look taller.

I am still looking for other photos. I guess you don't have any?

Not that my two bits are worth two bits to anyone else, but I would like for him to have a little heavier horn for my personal preference.

Julian":27wzwd1e said:
Not that my two bits are worth two bits to anyone else, but I would like for him to have a little heavier horn for my personal preference.

Dwight, at least he's a little linebred - he's got a 24% inbreeding coefficient. Sometime, we're going to have to compare notes on what you learned about linebreeding from intensely studying Gudgell and Simpson's breeding work. I'd appreciate your thoughts and insight.

George

I thought this bull look like David but I look him up and he was born in 1978. Who is it??

Never have figured him out, or the breeders who seem to believe he was one of the great ones. He never did breed a son who was really worth a poop, and the thousands of daughters he had for the most part faded in to oblivion. :roll:

WichitaLineMan":p370uwo5 said:
>>I would guess it is King Ten<<

Winna, winna, chicken dinna

I guess i had never seen a pic of him. I know Wiese and I think Mill Creek ranch have used him recently but I didnt really know what he looked like. I really dont like the shealth, and he really isnt as heavly muscled as I thought he might have been. Thanks for sharing. Can anyone post some pics of sons or daughters?

Herefords.US":2q4863f5 said:
Julian":2q4863f5 said:

Dwight, at least he's a little linebred - he's got a 24% inbreeding coefficient. Sometime, we're going to have to compare notes on what you learned about linebreeding from intensely studying Gudgell and Simpson's breeding work. I'd appreciate your thoughts and insight.

George

George do you still have the pic of that 595 bull of Mill Creek ranchs?

I never thought about that pic being King Ten. I saw a picture of what I was informed was King Ten but now I wonder as what I remember that picture to be was not anything remotely close to this picture. Anyone have a picture of FRC Sir 1. There is no doubt about the influence of King Ten daughters in an outcross production scenario as that is where most of his influence is now readily seen. There is absolutely a place within the hereford breed as well as the entire beef industry for the kind that he sires.

capt

isn't he a marbling bull? it would be consistent that marbling bulls look like that. perhaps marbling bulls have the same marbling, just less overall muscle and the fat needs to go somewhere. what would be interesting if someone found a bull that was co-linear for marbling and muscling with low backfat. this bull would probably look a little sorrier after breeding, but if the overall measured fat was the same as a high backfat bull, would everything else be equal except the visual where people like to see them fatter in general as an indication of being better?

Latest posts