Any thoughts about this bull?

Help Support CattleToday:

smnherf

Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone on here has seen this bull or offspring of this bull; JJD Mr Gold 2001?

http://www.herfnet.com/online/cgi-bin/i ... 1&9=535259

I have never used Pure Gold before but I like his mother. She is still producing at 18 years old.

She is pictured here.
http://www.herfnet.com/online/cgi-bin/i ... 5922232324

I came across some cheap semen on him a while ago and I thought at worst case I could use him on my commercial cows. I am particularily interested if he will add much frame, how much white and pigment he throws, udder quality and how correct they are.

Thanks

Brian

smnherf":3p32ba2r said:
I am wondering if anyone on here has seen this bull or offspring of this bull; JJD Mr Gold 2001?

http://www.herfnet.com/online/cgi-bin/i ... 1&9=535259

I have never used Pure Gold before but I like his mother. She is still producing at 18 years old.

She is pictured here.
http://www.herfnet.com/online/cgi-bin/i ... 5922232324

I came across some cheap semen on him a while ago and I thought at worst case I could use him on my commercial cows. I am particularily interested if he will add much frame, how much white and pigment he throws, udder quality and how correct they are.

Thanks

Brian

Brian, you might try sending a PM to "herefordchick", who can fill you in, in detail, on this bull.

When he sold in the Detweiler dispersal, I thought I might buy him if I could afford him. I couldn't! Aaron Glasscock, who was associated with Detweiler's, bought him and took him with him to Grassy Run.

He's definitely one of the better polled Pure Gold sons out there.

George

I don't know anything about the bull, but judging by the length of his cannon bone in the photo and the man with him in the photo, he doesn't look extreme in size to me.

Thanks for the comments. Knersie that is kind of the way I see him too.
His full ET sib was national champion in Louisville in 2003 so she must have had some size to her in order to win in that era.

George, I am surprised more people aren't using him.

Brian

I saw Mr Gold last summer prior to the dispersal. Simply put I saw him and bought semen.

Correct and thick would be my description. Not a whole lot of daughters to make a statement about the udder quality but his dam and full sibs all would lead me to believe there will be no problems there. The few young daughters in production were all females I would have loved to have brought home - they had really really good calves at side.

His full sib and dam are as good as you will find. I can't imagine wanting a better foundation female than the old 119 cow - Reed and Stith both commented after the sale that she probably set a record for price on a female of her age. Everyone seemed to agree though that if Folkman gets one good flush out of her he may have gotten the bargain of the dispersal. I had hoped to pick up a bull from this cow family. I have a small herd and AI most everything - deeper pockets than mine had picked the same bulls.

My knowledge of Pure Gold cattle beyond the show records is pretty thin. If some of you would like to share your knowledge of the horned end of the pedigree would be much appreciated.

Mr Gold is a good bull that should be used more. Why hasn't he been? I suspect if his momma and sister were not cranking out the embryos as they have been he would have been used more. Also the bull has several flushmates that were used as well and he got moved from one owner to another till finally settling in at JJD where he had to compete with a Nasdaq, Shrek, Red Mile (a maternal brother by 29F that had a great show record), flushmate brothers and a strong AI program to get any cows bred. Not to mention the number of females in the herd that were close relatives.

The fact that the herdsman took MR Gold, his full sisters, and most of his daughters along with him to his next employer should speak volumes. Aaron is first class - anyone interested in using the bull give Aaron a call he would love to talk about Mr Gold & the cow family. If I owned them I would love to talk about them too!

herefordchick":2gpfjs50 said:
My knowledge of Pure Gold cattle beyond the show records is pretty thin. If some of you would like to share your knowledge of the horned end of the pedigree would be much appreciated.

Generally speaking, the Pure Golds are thicker and slightly more moderate framed than the average run of Hereford cattle. Pure Gold daughters are heavy milking cows and the primary "knock" I have on them is that their teat structure tends toward the large side and some daughter's teats will eventually become problematic. I culled my first, at 7 years, this year due to her large teats.

George

Latest posts