Any team/calf ropers?

Help Support CattleToday:

4-JGFarms

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knew who trains roping horses around here. My college has team roping practices every friday night now till spring but i dont know how she would act in that environment. I've roped off of her at home alot but never team roped. Shes a trained cutting horse, I've had her for three years now and she tracks cattle well. Would I make an idiot of myself trying to back into that stall? The previous owner said she had been trained ,not finished, in roping but that was three years ago.

This is what I would do, instead of spending money on a trainer I would first try and do it my self. I our town we have public fair grounds that has an arnea in it that anyone can ride in. I would try to find something like that that you can practice backing in the box and breaking from the box. If you know any one that has roping steers that you can track from the box that would be even better. If it looks like it is not going to work then I would look into a trainer. But you are the one that know's the horse so you make the decision. Thanks Kaneranch

If you could just run cattle at the practices for a week or so then try heading at a practice. most ropers are willing to help out a newbie horse or rider. if you are worried have another roper take a run on your horse and they can tell you if he's got roping in it or not.

kaneranch":3at5y1ty said:
This is what I would do, instead of spending money on a trainer I would first try and do it my self. I our town we have public fair grounds that has an arnea in it that anyone can ride in. I would try to find something like that that you can practice backing in the box and breaking from the box. If you know any one that has roping steers that you can track from the box that would be even better. If it looks like it is not going to work then I would look into a trainer. But you are the one that know's the horse so you make the decision. Thanks Kaneranch
One thing you dont want to do is break from the box with out cattle this is a habit you dont want to start. keeping them quiet in the is one of the esentails of a good rope horse,tracking cattle is good practice in & out of the box be sure to always if possible to let your horse rest in the box

ALACOWMAN":hdt0vl9p said:
kaneranch":hdt0vl9p said:
One thing you dont want to do is break from the box with out cattle this is a habit you dont want to start. keeping them quiet in the is one of the esentails of a good rope horse,tracking cattle is good practice in & out of the box be sure to always if possible to let your horse rest in the box

Thats absolutely right. The box needs to be a place the horse understands and peace time. Once they leave and are tracking an animal it's war time. Friend had a horse that would NOT stand in the box. Loped circles on him, ran up and down the pen and just worked his but off, lead him in the box loosened the saddle and that was it for the day. Next day tried to back in and the horse lost it, he did a few over & unders with the reins, loped circles again etc. After a few days the horse learned that being in the box was the only place he was safe from work and backed in with ease. I could see though how this method might backfire on you, as well as many other training methods. If you plan to be a weekend worrior type roper then training yourself might be a good idea but if you are looking to go Pro then having a good working horse would be orth paying for.

Yes I forgot to mention that. If possible set in the box with your horse and open the gate to the roping chute with out any cattle in it. This teaches them that they are to break when the steer leaves, not when the gate opens. I work at a roping areana and when it is over every on that needs there horse trained on stays and trains on them. Have you decided what you are going to do yet?

J":15rr77ox said:
ALACOWMAN":15rr77ox said:
kaneranch":15rr77ox said:

Thats absolutely right. The box needs to be a place the horse understands and peace time. Once they leave and are tracking an animal it's war time. Friend had a horse that would NOT stand in the box. Loped circles on him, ran up and down the pen and just worked his but off, lead him in the box loosened the saddle and that was it for the day. Next day tried to back in and the horse lost it, he did a few over & unders with the reins, loped circles again etc. After a few days the horse learned that being in the box was the only place he was safe from work and backed in with ease. I could see though how this method might backfire on you, as well as many other training methods. If you plan to be a weekend worrior type roper then training yourself might be a good idea but if you are looking to go Pro then having a good working horse would be orth paying for.
Thats what i would do if my horse went to cutting up in the box i would walk him out lope him in tight circles out in front of the box then back in the box and let him rest. before long you could drop the reins and goose him and he would go in the box and back in the corner on his own .i have seen guys run in the box with no cattle in the chute then blow out hell bent for leather. then when they were ready to rope the horse would do what they thought he wanted that was to blow out most of the time passing the calf on the way.it also good to score cattle at times to ease the anticiapation :cboy:

ALACOWMAN":5vk1697e said:
J":5vk1697e said:
ALACOWMAN":5vk1697e said:
kaneranch":5vk1697e said:

Thats what i would do if my horse went to cutting up in the box i would walk him out lope him in tight circles out in front of the box then back in the box and let him rest. before long you could drop the reins and goose him and he would go in the box and back in the corner on his own .i have seen guys run in the box with no cattle in the chute then blow out hell bent for leather. then when they were ready to rope the horse would do what they thought he wanted that was to blow out most of the time passing the calf on the way.it also good to score cattle at times to ease the anticiapation :cboy:

Thats what happens most of the time when someone is trying to train on their own, they end up blowing the horses mind, weather it's roping running barrels etc. making them think that full steam ahead is the only way to go. Had a friend that had a half TB roping horse that he couldn't control because it thought if it wasn't going full speed all the time it wasn't doing its job, looked about half crazy when you watched him try and rope off of it, my brother bought that horse and after some slow down was put in him, he turned out to be pretty good in the pen but was even better in the pasture.

ALACOWMAN":2gn8fzl9 said:
most of those type horses make a good dogging horse after them guys get tired of trying to fix what they screwed up in the first place.

Yeah I guess that would be the best event for those that run past 'em huh? :)

J":26dk0p35 said:
ALACOWMAN":26dk0p35 said:
most of those type horses make a good dogging horse after them guys get tired of trying to fix what they screwed up in the first place.

Yeah I guess that would be the best event for those that run past 'em huh? :)
one ol sorrell horse comes to mind years ago that this guy was going to make a calf horse out of well after several rookie training sessions he wound up with a good cowboy who made a dogging horse out of him his only fault that he never got out of him was the first time he backed in the box he was walking out on his hind legs then he would settle down and alot of money was won on that horse.

I'm ropin pretty good out in the cornstalks at home; she really tracks well as far as I can tell. Come to find out the arena is open to anyone on saturday and sunday. So I think I'm going to go down there this weekend and get her use to the box and chute and see how that goes. I might even try to do it on fri night when the practice is over, I doubt that will happen though.

So once I'm there I need to get her in the box successfully first (walk in, face, walk out, repeat). Then what? Get her set then bang the chute open then walk her out? Or open the chute and kick it into overdrive? I realize this will take more than one day and I appreciate all of you guys' help.

Here is what I would do. When there is cattle in the chute I would open the gate and let the steer out and make sure that she stands still until the steer is five or ten feet out of the box, then walk her slowly out of the box. I would mix it up a little bit to if you can. After scoreing a few track or rope one or two. If there arn't any steers in the chute I would just make her stand there and pet her and open the gate. Your main obejectives are to make her calm in the box, brake when the steer leaves (not when the gate opens) and keep her guessing. I think that when you get into a routine is when you get into trouble. If you Just rope or just score she will think that that is what she is supposed to do every time and it make for a bad roping horse. The only thing that you really can't do enough of in my opinion is opening the gate while they are in the box and keeping them calm. Now these are all my opinions if any one thinks differently or would like to add something it won't hurt my feelings.

kaneranch":347mokam said:
Here is what I would do. When there is cattle in the chute I would open the gate and let the steer out and make sure that she stands still until the steer is five or ten feet out of the box, then walk her slowly out of the box. I would mix it up a little bit to if you can. After scoreing a few track or rope one or two. If there arn't any steers in the chute I would just make her stand there and pet her and open the gate. Your main obejectives are to make her calm in the box, brake when the steer leaves (not when the gate opens) and keep her guessing. I think that when you get into a routine is when you get into trouble. If you Just rope or just score she will think that that is what she is supposed to do every time and it make for a bad roping horse. The only thing that you really can't do enough of in my opinion is opening the gate while they are in the box and keeping them calm. Now these are all my opinions if any one thinks differently or would like to add something it won't hurt my feelings.

I'm sure theres more to add but you have hit the nail on the head as far as getting started. :D

I like to lead my horse in the box the first time to see what reaction he has.i dont make them back in the corner either the first few times i walk close to the outside rail toward the back turn them toward the chute then stop. let them set then walk them out toward the the chute gate at the angle he will be leaving. great rope horse's take time to train every detail needs to be taken to great lengths to produce results :cboy:

most ropers in my area would reather rope than train on there horse so they rope till the horse blows up. 1st time maybe 30 steers next tine 20 then 15 this shows the horse the quicker he blow up the quicker he gets to quit. this is not what to do i have trained a few rope horses and the 1st thing is get your horse real broke (trained).do lots of circles, lead changes, ect. the slower you go the quicker you will get there. :cboy:

Don't know if you guys are watching but the team and calf roping in the 9th go of NFR last night was awesome. I figured Whitfield had the calves wrapped up but every guy that came behind him would beat the guy that went just before him. I believe a new arena record was set for the team roping last night. Not that this matters but I had the pleasure of competing against Speedy in High School. He was alright but I don't remember him having "Super Looper" status back then.

Latest posts