any suggestions?

Help Support CattleToday:

ROB

Reaction score
wednesday, may 30th we are taking 28 head of reciepents in for embryo transfer. i also have a couple of heifers that i wanted to a.i. on the same date - what do you all think would be the best day to give the heifers a shot of estrumate for the best chance of standing heat late tuesday evening on the 29th?

thanks,
ROB

I COULD look it up for you; but shouldn't you have a veterinarian for these kind of questions?

To get the most then I would give the shot evening of 26 may. You can expect 2/3 of them to be on heat from days 1-5 after 1 shot of 2cc Estrumate, most will be around 3 days after the shot, but you still need to heat detect to get good results.

brandonm2-

the reason i was asking is that i had given estrumate on the afternoon of tuesday the 15th to 28 recepients in order to have standing heat between the 17th and the 19th. ( - this was per out vets recommendations). by the evening of the 16th, 20 out of the 28 head had went through standing heat. we were originally scheduled for embryo transfer on june 1st - had to re-schedule for may 30th.

rather than looking it up in a book - i am looking for advice from cattlemen who practice synchronization and have experienced comments to give.

is it normal to see standing heat within 20 - 24 hours after giving estrumate? or (as the vet indicated) 72 hours?

ROB

the vast majority will start showing heat signs after about 60 hours, most will stand by about 72 hours. I have seen a few stand 24h later with a single shot protocol, but very seldom in a 2 shot protocol. In a 2 shot program they are usually bunched closer together if the second shot is given after 13 days instead of 11 as per the leaflet.

knersie-

appreciate your comment.

i gave a round of ovacist on the 15th and a round of estrumate on the 22nd. (my previous post to brandonm1 was incorrect - as i looked at the wrong dates on the calendar) we were looking for the majority of standing heat to occur between the 24th thru 26th - then e.t. on june 1.

over 70% of the standing heat was within the first 20-24 hours. 14% occured the next 24 hours, and of this morning none. hopefully the other 4 receps. will stand in the next 16 hours and we can get them e.t.'d on june 1.

it's been a few years since i had tried to synchronize, but i thought the majority of standing heats would occur around the 72 hour mark.

ROB

You'll have a lot more respond between 36 and 48 hours than you will at 72hrs. I'd probably plan on about 50 hours if I was just going to give a wild swing at it.

Different vets and/or embryo techs might give you different schedules that work best for their particular programs. If you have a recent ABS semen catalog you will find a schedule in the back if you want to do it "by the book" but Brandon is right, you should consult your AI tech or vet for a schedule on what you want to do. I just sat up 2 Donors and 14 recips here on CIDR`s and GNRH. Both donors cycled on time and together. Also, 13 of 14 recips responded with standing heat even though a couple had calves on them only around 45 days old. I also pulled all the calves from them for 48 hours after removing the CIDR`s on both recips and donors. I used new CIDR`s on the donors and 2nd time CIDR`s on the recips. I also used lutalyse on both at prescribed times. Best of luck on your ET work. Let us know how it goes. Bill

Circle H Ranch
http://www.chrlimousin.com

Cattleman200 -

yesterday (wednesday) i took 19 head to TransOva for ET. 18 out of the 19 were used for recips. the CL of one did not check out o.k.

5 more head are scheduled for friday morning for ET.

the two heifers were given estrumate tuesday morning and showed standing heat this morning -- 48 hrs. they are going to TransOva late this afternoon for A.I.

we were told success rates for E.T. was somewhere between 60-80%. what do you normally expect?

ROB

we were told success rates for E.T. was somewhere between 60-80%. what do you normally expect?

80% would be high expectations. I would say be happy with 60-65% then if you get 80% it will be that much better. Plus, weather conditions such as dry, hot days can play a role in conception and set up. Sounds like your recips set up just right this round and the heifers too. Best of luck. I set up 14 recips and we used 10 this round but we are in near drought conditions also.

Circle H Ranch
http://www.chrlimousin.com

Latest posts