Any suggestions on how to get a cow to cooperate

Help Support CattleToday:

lancemart

Reaction score
How do I get my first time mother to feed her calf? We got him to suck for a few seconds and then she gently kicked him away. He actually figured out tonight what to do, then she would not let him feed. He did not go back after that. Any suggestions. Will she eventually come around? She has been through a grueling ordeal. The Vet said he looked about 100lbs. He could not believe it was just born.
The bull-calf will be 2 days old in a few hours.
He is walking pretty good now. That took awhile. He is alert. May be constipated. Anything I should know?

Check the other post I made in answer to your question...but in addition:

He actually figured out tonight what to do, then she would not let him feed. He did not go back after that. Any suggestions.

Yes - take him back again and again and again. Don't just stand there and expect the two of them to magically figure this out on their own. Where is this cow when you're trying to get the calf to nurse? Is she standing loose in a pen??? Some folks like to use a chute - I haven't tried that one - but I've roped and snubbed cows before. Sometimes just having her tied and parallel against a fence will keep those hind feet on the ground. Sometimes not. Depends on how much she dislikes the calf nursing. I'm guessing she's not too bad about it if she'll let you milk her by hand.

you better make sure he suck's soon or he will be dead colostrum milk to a calf is like whiskey to an indian.

DD RANCH":37svt3cg said:
you better make sure he suck's soon or he will be dead colostrum milk to a calf is like whiskey to an indian.

I have been milking her and giving it to the calf

milkmaid":30g3zkd0 said:
Check the other post I made in answer to your question...but in addition:

He actually figured out tonight what to do, then she would not let him feed. He did not go back after that. Any suggestions.

Yes - take him back again and again and again. Don't just stand there and expect the two of them to magically figure this out on their own. Where is this cow when you're trying to get the calf to nurse? Is she standing loose in a pen??? Some folks like to use a chute - I haven't tried that one - but I've roped and snubbed cows before. Sometimes just having her tied and parallel against a fence will keep those hind feet on the ground. Sometimes not. Depends on how much she dislikes the calf nursing. I'm guessing she's not too bad about it if she'll let you milk her by hand.

She is standing loose in a turn out shed. It is about 12' wide and 20' long.
Yes she lets me milk her and seems to like it, but when the calf tries she keeps moving and lifting her leg.
I will try all these suggestions tommore
I just hope 8 oz tonight was enough
I would say the consevatively speaking she got about 24 oz today maybe a tad more

lancemart":4evb4j9k said:
She is standing loose in a turn out shed. It is about 12' wide and 20' long.
Yes she lets me milk her and seems to like it, but when the calf tries she keeps moving and lifting her leg.
I will try all these suggestions tommore

Yep, throw a rope on and tie her up. If she's tame enough you can milk her that should be easy. LOL. I'll bet once she's restrained most -if not all- of your problems will be solved. :) Good luck - let us know how it goes.

A year or so ago we had a cow that delived dead twins and then we purchased a calf to put on her. She was not always cooperative either..she kicked the calf away..lightly she never kicked really hard.

We put them in a small pen about 10 x 10 (smaller would be better). Then my husband brought the calf up to her and when she kicked..he smacked her on the hind end..it took a couple days but she took the calf. This is a cow that has a big "bubble" and we hardly can get in touching distance of her. Since you are able to milk this cow..I say you have a pretty good chance...you have to MAKE her take the calf.

Good Luck

Tie her up and see if she calms down. Stand by the calf next to the cow and when she tries to push him away, push on her to make her go off balance a little. If she doesn't kick hard you may be able to block her leg with yours.
Put a rope around one back foot and pull it up/back so she can't kick. Donna's suggestion about giving her a good smack whenever she kicks is probably what I would do.

The cow is gentle, that makes things alot easier. When you get ready to help the calf suck, make sure and feed the cow grain, this will keep her mind occupied on eating dessert, instead of the calf. When the calf gets strong enough, it will not be affected by the cow kicking. You need to keep helping it suck, 3 or 4 times per day and it will be strong enough real soon. Just continue milking the teat into the calfs mouth and then putting it in the calfs mouth and holding the calf there until it gets the hang of it.

Tie her in a stall.

Rope one back leg and tie it up - be sure to pull the back leg off the ground.

Lay a couple of good lickings on her if she tries to stomp the calf - then all you have to do is stand over her with the cane / stick held up high - she will stand.

About two days and she will take it.

I give them no more time than this - too many good cattle out there to waste time on just one with a prob.

Bez!

Latest posts