Any suggestions on a tractor?

Help Support CattleToday:

NamVet_Farmer44

Reaction score
I've been thinking lately about buying a tractor, I still like working with my draft horses and mules but this is kind of like a gift to myself since I will never have any retirement time to do what I want and buy what I want :)

I'm thinking about buying a newer tractor with some of the modern luxuries...even though I do like the old Olivers my son uses...and I will be using it on well over 1000 acres so I'm guessing i'm going to need a fairly large tractor...I think I also need it to be 4 wheel drive...sorry, I don't know much at all about the types of tractors, and I know I haven't given much info about what all it will be used for, but does anyone have any suggestions on a reliable tractor that I might want to check out? I figured i'd ask yall folks with more experience with tractors before I go out buying something

Thanks for any advice :)

Take care

Agco makes a pretty good tractor, Kubota does too, so does John Deere. Those are the only 3 I have any experience with that are still in production.

we have a new McCormick MTX 135 that is a pretty nice tractor. Had it about a year and a half and havent had any problems. Not as many bells and whistles as some, but it has the essentials at a reasonable price compared to other tractors of equivalent hp. Very simple and easy to operate. John Deere makes very good tractors as well.

I gave myself a JD 6420 4X4 with loader, all the bells and whistles. It is the best cure for hay and dust down the collar and up the nose that I have found. Pretty expensive but probably the last tractor that I will ever buy so for once I decided to get what I wanted. Couldn't be happier with it.

I think everyone here knows how I feel about the imports so I will only say buy something that has been around since at least the 50's, has a good reputable dealer, good recommended service department, and parts availability.

Whatever size or make you decide on FWD is good to have especialy if you are planning on putting a loader on , I have 2 tractors with FWD but my old loader tractor is still only 2WD . I'd like to replace it but so far I haven't been able to.

The size of the tractor will depend on what you plan on doing with it. You need to figure out what your minimun horse power requirement is. Its a good idea to err on the large size. As for brand of tractor, stick to a well known name brand ( John Deere, Kubota, New Holland, etc.) . And definitly go with fwd.

steer clear of montanna and kioti tractors....thier dealer network stinks and it is hard to get parts etc. for them....

Ford 6640 (76 at the pto) , cab, loader, mfd.

If you are not gonna do a bunch of tillage with large implements, should be all the ponies you need. And it is agile enought to go into the bush to haul firewood, or do a lot of loader work.

Very reliable, replaced a main belt and the batteries in 4 years.

I love 4X4, but I resent the heck out of the cab unless it is -20 or raining hard. ( I think you would be the same ).

Only thing I have against Deere is the prices they expect to get for the name, but that seems to be getting less obvious around here. I have some Deere implements and got great service from them.

kjones":21ozcxy4 said:
It's not so much the name you are paying for, it's that expensive green paint. :D

Even JD makes tractor models that compete with Kubota, New Holland, MF and the others in price.

They HAVE to be able to compete with the others on the county and state bids.

Thanks everybody for all the advice :)

I went out today and looked at a CAT tractor...does anybody have any experience with CAT tractors?...I believe it was a 2005 Challenger MT545...had dual wheels on front and back, not tracks...somewhere around 120 H.P. and under 100 hours

Thanks again

Take care :D

NamVet_Farmer44":3hk8y0zm said:
I've been thinking lately about buying a tractor, I still like working with my draft horses and mules but this is kind of like a gift to myself since I will never have any retirement time to do what I want and buy what I want :)

I'm thinking about buying a newer tractor with some of the modern luxuries...even though I do like the old Olivers my son uses...and I will be using it on well over 1000 acres so I'm guessing i'm going to need a fairly large tractor...I think I also need it to be 4 wheel drive...sorry, I don't know much at all about the types of tractors, and I know I haven't given much info about what all it will be used for, but does anyone have any suggestions on a reliable tractor that I might want to check out? I figured i'd ask yall folks with more experience with tractors before I go out buying something

Take care

Can you clarify?
You need to run well over 1000 acres. You're currently doing this with horses, mules and old Olivers?
1000 acres of what? Corn, beans, hay, timber? It makes a difference. For corn, that 125 hp Challenger is way short. For pasture, it might be about right, but you don't need the duals on all 4.
I'd like to offer a comment, but need more info.

john250":d4jpop37 said:
NamVet_Farmer44":d4jpop37 said:

Take care

Can you clarify?
You need to run well over 1000 acres. You're currently doing this with horses, mules and old Olivers?
1000 acres of what? Corn, beans, hay, timber? It makes a difference. For corn, that 125 hp Challenger is way short. For pasture, it might be about right, but you don't need the duals on all 4.

I dont harvest anywhere near 1000 acres with the mules and horses...just a small section of my land...I have everything grown and harvested on another piece of my land across the mountain...then shipped here...but i'd like to start doing that myself...I need an all around tractor, for baling, plowing, seeding, not so much for timber ,but yes I will also be using it for corn...I wasn't sure how much horsepower i'd need...the fellar at the dealer was showing me tractors ranging from 100-175 horsepower...do I need to start looking at 175+ H.P. tractors? What horsepower is typically needed for corn?

If that still aint enough information, then tell me and i'll try to give some more info :)

Thank you

Take care

find yourself an International Harvestor 1086...i promise you it will be all the tractor you ever need, and unless you get one that the previous owner(s) beat on, you'll have to pretty much try to destroy it. it has a good air conditioning system - if you aren't worried about that, then some cheaper power would be an International 966 or 1066, but many of them by now are cabless or the cabs have gotten kind of beat up. this '86 series of IH is the cheapest power out there and they have plenty of it. If you've got more money to throw at it, get a 5088 or 5288 IH.

the Farmall/IH tractors were ahead of their time in terms of power and durability. even today, with the case influence, i'd still take a brand new CaseIH over anything jd has in stock. all the green guys can attack me now, but i'll never back down on this subject!! :cboy: :lol:

NamVet_Farmer44":1u6v8owt said:
john250":1u6v8owt said:
NamVet_Farmer44":1u6v8owt said:

Take care

Can you clarify?

I dont harvest anywhere near 1000 acres with the mules and horses...just a small section of my land...I have everything grown and harvested on another piece of my land across the mountain...then shipped here...but i'd like to start doing that myself...I need an all around tractor, for baling, plowing, seeding, not so much for timber ,but yes I will also be using it for corn...I wasn't sure how much horsepower i'd need...the fellar at the dealer was showing me tractors ranging from 100-175 horsepower...do I need to start looking at 175+ H.P. tractors? What horsepower is typically needed for corn?

If that still aint enough information, then tell me and i'll try to give some more info :)

Thank you

Take care

I'd look at the equipment your tenants are using. (I assume they are tenants) You may not need the exact same stuff, but you need to do the same jobs. If they have 300+ hp 4 wd tractors then you need one tractor. If they use 50 hp 2 wd then you need a different tractor.
Deere has a publications dept. Some of the best books available on how to size equipment for the work to be accomplished. Try them.