Any Suggestions for investments in Calf Hutches?

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasRancher089

Reaction score
I've been wanting to invest some money in Calf Hutches for a while, there's a lot of options available. Is there any tips or suggestions?

I can't help with that. I never used them. Back when I was younger and raising bottle calves I'd either have them in the working pen or abandoned chicken houses.

Welcome to the forum anyway. It's always good to see another Texan here. What part are you at?

You can spend a small fortune for the real high end ones or less for the basics. I just bought 2 real "hi end" ones at a sale for about $100 less than a basic one. Paid about 300 for ones that cost about 700+ new... You don't need all the fancy stuff, but feed inside is nicer for the calves if you have alot of bad weather or rain... also saves on feed if not allowed to get wet. Make sure there is a removable window or panel opposite the door for air circulation in hot weather...or a roof vent but that can leak..... mine have a panel to open to put feed and water inside in the buckets on the side, a built in bottle holder so there is no way for the calf to pull the bottle holder off or the nipple off the bottle. Didn't need it, it was just there. Still less than a new basic one and no shipping/delivery.
Wood used to be okay for basic shelter... it costs too much now and does not last... fiber or poly can be hosed with high pressure hose and disinfected with bleach etc... don't have any preference to brand as several of the dairies I milk test for have different brands and no one seems to have a preference.

Latest posts