Any small engine guys? Honda GX 160

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Are there any small engine guys here? I have a Honda GX 160 motor on a Ingersoll Rand air comp. It will run like crazy at 1/4 choke but if you start backing it down it starts bogging.

I have been thru the carb and cleaned up every thing. Even ordered one new jet. Before the cleaning and new jet it would run maybe a minute and die. Cleaned up the gas cap and blew thru the holes to be sure it was venting.

The gas is not that old but I will probably swap it out this evening just to be sure.

I have a whole new knock off carb coming from Amazon for $13 to see if it runs better when I swap it out but I would really like to fix what I have. Im kind of vested in this deal now and slapping the new one on seems like I am admitting defeat. :)

You are doing what I did, replace the carb. I used a OEM one and it was still very cheap on line. It sure wasn't worth my time trying to fix.

I'm sure you know this but always make sure to turn the gas off and run it dry when you are finished.

Nesikep said:
certainly a carb problem.. new carb is like $10 on ebay, they seem to work just fine

i bought a farmall carb on ebay 20 bucks ready to use the rebuild kit from the dealers 28

Always worth changing to spark plug while at it. Many times a sparking problem acts and sounds like a fuel issue. I was just given two engines, two stroke, that the guy had given up on. He used to be a mechanic! New carb on each, coils and spark plugs, and running like just purchased.

I usually forget to turn the gas off on mine but that Honda 160 is a great engine.I have two_One on a mower and the other on a power washer.
My mower has the auto choke that decides when to cut back.It started running rough this year surging as it was mowing along.A little seafoam in the gas and no more surging.Runs like new.
Never use ethanol in any of my small engines.Although my Stihls call for 89 octane,I feel I'm better off with my 87 and no ethanol.

My chain saw was doing the same thing. Turned out the fuel line had a very small crack in it. Replaced it and it ran like a new one.

pricefarm said:
My chain saw was doing the same thing. Turned out the fuel line had a very small crack in it. Replaced it and it ran like a new one.

This would be my bet, (or a cracked primer bulb)

bbirder said:
Brute,
When you removed the main jet, did you take out the nozzle behind it and clean all the holes?

That is a good question. I'll double back on that and be sure.

My last carb experience I put rebuild kits in all the carbs on my boat. The bowls were notorious for warping and they hadn't been gone thru in a while. I watched the YouTube video on it followed it all to the T. Got it all back together and it fired right up... ran better than it ever had. Got on the water one morning early and putted out of the canal, got to the buoy to take off, hit the gas.... spudder.. spudder.. die. Fired right back up same thing. Pulled boat out of water and it would crank great, idle, you could rev it up with no load. :???:

Got home and took it to my boat mechanic. He called me about and hour after I dropped it off and asked if I had the old bowls... luckily I kept them. He said run them back to me so I can get the main jets out of them. :oops: He gave me a hard time but we laughed about it. He slapped them in with me right there and said every thing else looked good. It ran great after that. :lol:

JW IN VA said:
I usually forget to turn the gas off on mine but that Honda 160 is a great engine.I have two_One on a mower and the other on a power washer.
My mower has the auto choke that decides when to cut back.It started running rough this year surging as it was mowing along.A little seafoam in the gas and no more surging.Runs like new.
Never use ethanol in any of my small engines.Although my Stihls call for 89 octane,I feel I'm better off with my 87 and no ethanol.

My Jonsered manual (920) calls for 85 or better

Small engines are set so lean now to meet EPA regulations that even smallest bit of dirt in the carb will prevent them from running well. Many times it just has to be replaced, because they are difficult to clean.

I have a GCV160 on my wood splitter. It's always been cranky, needs to run on 1/2 choke for about 10 minutes until it warms up because it's jetted so lean.

Latest posts