Any recommendations for a good scale?

Help Support CattleToday:

hcrancher

Reaction score
We need to weigh our calves at yearling weight - any recommendations on where to get a good scale? We have a good squeeze chute - should we get one for underneath that?

Look in the classified ads on the cattle today.
You never said what type you want. The old time adjust the weight scale or digital.
We have an older Paul scale that you use the counter balance to weight the calves, but it can be converted to a digital.
Also a thought. If you do not want to go into the cost of buying a scale some ranch supply companies have scales that they rent out.

We had another scale that you placed at the bottom of the sqeeze chute. Biggest problem we had was it was run on hydraulic fluid and it would barely read when it was cold. There are better ones out there now.

Just like everything else, there are pros and cons for locating them under the squeeze or not. We have the type that could go under the squeeze but has it's own cage type deal so we mounted it in the alley leading to the scale. If push came to shove we could weigh them and let them by-pass the squeeze. We do that sometimes with little calves.

A company called B&B scales was going to custom make a digital scale for me to go under the chute I was going to buy. It was the best deal I could find - $550 ish. They were great to work with too. I ended up not doing that, because the chute I bought actually had a scale on it.

Les Hirsch
E-mail Address(es):
[email protected]

dun":2yl1cu3s said:
Just like everything else, there are pros and cons for locating them under the squeeze or not. We have the type that could go under the squeeze but has it's own cage type deal so we mounted it in the alley leading to the scale. If push came to shove we could weigh them and let them by-pass the squeeze. We do that sometimes with little calves.

I echo dun's comments though. Ours in on the chute, but I'd prefer it in the approach. B/B can make whatever you want.