Any pointers for new waterers?

Help Support CattleToday:

Douglas

Reaction score
I am installing a well and a couple waterers this spring. If the well comes in with a lot of water I might also try some small irrigation areas for creep grazing. I have only 30 cows
I know I should find a spot with good drainage and stay away from feeding areas.
What about shade? What are your favorite brands of waterers? Anything else I should know?

frost proof concrete tanks or scraper tire tanks are my favorite.

ROB

I am getting a small grant that pays 75% or so of the cost as part of a SWC contract, so i not really look for the cheapest alternatives. We also don't have much problem with freezing here.

im not as interested in the cost as i am the longevity - concrete tanks or scraper tire tanks are both pretty indestructable, and rust-proof. also, the scraper tires are large enough you can water a lot of animals. with either, it's easy to install an overflow with a drain pipe to a location away from the tank. this helps to keep the mess down when the float valve fails. if it happens to get cold enough to freeze- the overflow also keeps the tank operational. besides that, scraper tires keeps the cows moral up. every time they go up to get a drink they're reminded that it's a Good Year. ;-)

ROB

A year or so ago someone put some pictures on the board about how to make troughs out of tires. It was really ingenious. Don't remember who did it but it is worth hunting for if you are interested. Don't know if this is what you are calling a scraper or not.

Soil and Water around here have specific specifications that have to be met. Double check what options are really available to you.

I won't get to efusive here but I am a strong believer in these Petersen Concrete waterers.

http://petersenwaterers.com/secure-petersenwaterers/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=422

I use the 34C on about the same number of head. It was 28 degrees below zero here last week and did not have a problem. I know you are not that concerned about freezing in your location but I understand they have a non electric drip type for southern areas. And you can buy them for less than shown including freight.

They are near indestrucible. Even in the south however, install it exactly as they show on their website with maybe a 4" high step around the base 12" out.

This is one product I have purchased that every time I look at it I feel better - not worse as I do looking at many other things I bought around the farm over the years. FWIW. No I don't sell them, I just saw one at a farm show a few years ago. I like stuff that works better than expected.

Whatever bran or type you install pour a concrete pad around it right after water is run up the culvert. Suggestion: Also run a #10-3 underground type electric wire in the trench with the pipe even if you don't plan on using anything electric right now.

I would not worry about shade - you don't want them lounging there or it will be a manure pile, a wet manure pile! You want them to get a drink and get out. They will usually drink in the cooler parts of the day anyway as I see it. Pick a central location which will have access or lanes to each of your grazing areas.

I put in a cobett waterer this fall and I love it. can water 250 head with it and never froze during the 20 below weather last week. I would endorse it enthusiastically. :) Also no concrete around it, just stone.

Douglas":qu9drrjs said:
I am installing a well and a couple waterers this spring. If the well comes in with a lot of water I might also try some small irrigation areas for creep grazing. I have only 30 cows
I know I should find a spot with good drainage and stay away from feeding areas.
What about shade? What are your favorite brands of waterers? Anything else I should know?

I would suggest you consider installing your new waterers on a concrete slab with a 6-8" bed of gravel in the middle of the slab, and directly underneath the waterer. Sure helps keep the cattle from tromping out the ground around the tank, as well as with the overflow in case of a stuck/faulty float valve.

Latest posts