Any pics of Char X Red brangus calves?

Help Support CattleToday:

Best I can do is this Char x gert momma cow we held over from my granddad's catle. She is not what many would want because of "lack of moderation." She does how ever raise a fine calf each year. Char x Red Brangus is close to the Char x gert terminals we are raising. We have had good luck with them in the past.
Phone91511014.jpg

ALACOWMAN":1tbz0ncl said:
Simmental7":1tbz0ncl said:
Or if anybody could tell me a lil bit more about this cross? and how it worked out for them or similar cross
never seen any from red brangus only black,,, makes a he!@ of a calf

As long as the brangus are on the bottom side of the pedigree!

I don't have any pictures but I do have a couple of cows that are chars out of some little thousand pound brangus-ish cows. They're probably 1,100 pound cows and do a fantastic job of raising a calf but the bull I used was kind of moderate. It's not a cross that I'd do over unless I was strictly raising terminals but it did work that time.

cow pollinater":1gisd47h said:
I don't have any pictures but I do have a couple of cows that are chars out of some little thousand pound brangus-ish cows. They're probably 1,100 pound cows and do a fantastic job of raising a calf but the bull I used was kind of moderate. It's not a cross that I'd do over unless I was strictly raising terminals but it did work that time.

I know everyone thinks of the charolais breed as terminal only. I raise charolais and they are dang good calf raisers. The cows milk and raise big weaning calves.

So, why do people knock them as a maternal breed?

The only reason I wouldn't do it more often is that the big framed stuff won't hold up here. It's hard to find enough moderate genetics to make a hundred uniform cows that will hold up for me. The char genetics that I have available in the flesh here are junk so I'm limited to AI and I try to use genetics that match what my bulls are so that I have a uniform calf crop.
Otherwise I'd be all in. A few of my very best cows are moderate chars. :nod:

deenranch":4a8mu4rh said:
cow pollinater":4a8mu4rh said:

I know everyone thinks of the charolais breed as terminal only. I raise charolais and they are dang good calf raisers. The cows milk and raise big weaning calves.

They may raise big calves, but at what cost? Profit equals revenue minus expenses. A big calf increases revenue, but if it is a big or more muscular cow doing it, expenses also go up. If Char cows weren't more muscular, then they wouldn't produce good terminal bulls.

170.JPG

1721.JPG

Mom was a char cross cow dad was a red brangus bull. Well Angus plus technically speaking.

Calf was very stout and muscular when i sold him.

djinwa":1m8jz5pq said:
deenranch":1m8jz5pq said:
cow pollinater":1m8jz5pq said:

They may raise big calves, but at what cost? Profit equals revenue minus expenses. A big calf increases revenue, but if it is a big or more muscular cow doing it, expenses also go up. If Char cows weren't more muscular, then they wouldn't produce good terminal bulls.

Pretty sure all of my char cows but one will weigh in the 1250# range. IMO, that ain't big. They raise 700# plus bull calves and I feed them the same amount I feed my commercial cattle. I know a lot of people that do have huge cows, but to say that all Chars are huge and cost too much to feed is not accurate.

Deenranch I know what your saying. Everyone thinks I hvae huge cows when I say they are Braunvieh. They think of Brown Swiss and think I have large milk cows. They just dont get how Braunvieh has been bred to be Dairy breed in one direction and others a beef breed. My largest cow is 1315 lbs and smallest weighs 1195 lbs. The gentlman who built up this herd runs a great program and doesnt keep things that get to large. He got out of Braunvieh to expand his Charolais program and those cows are teh same way. His largest may push 1400 lbs but average would be in the 1200s. Selective breeding does wonders but you have to work at it.

MARC has recorded average mature cow size by breed. Looking at average mature weights of four-year old cows at the U.S. MARC showed Simmentals with the largest average cow herd size (1,353 lbs), followed by Hereford (1,348 lbs), Angus (1,342 lbs), Charolais (1,339 lbs), Limousin (1,330 lbs), and Gelbvieh (1,282 lbs).

Massey135":38qq5u3g said:
MARC has recorded average mature cow size by breed. Looking at average mature weights of four-year old cows at the U.S. MARC showed Simmentals with the largest average cow herd size (1,353 lbs), followed by Hereford (1,348 lbs), Angus (1,342 lbs), Charolais (1,339 lbs), Limousin (1,330 lbs), and Gelbvieh (1,282 lbs).

Do you have a date this study was done?

Latest posts