Any Other Suggestions?

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Have a calf with an unusual case of pneumonia. Last Tues he was with the herd, nursing, seemed perfectly fine. Spent the majority of Wed walking 360 acres looking for him, found him just before dark. No snotty nose, no cough yet clearly not right and droopy ears. Thurs morning had to rope him & use the Calf Catch (best investment!) to get him down then switched to the halter. Temp was a scary 106.7. Gave him a hefty dose of Resflor Gold and drenched him with electrolytes. His mama moved him closer to the herd that evening and for the next couple days he seemed a lot better but then we were pummeled with rain and the temps dropped to the 30's. Yesterday morning he was once again away from the herd, looked pretty punky, still no snotty nose or cough but now has scours. Got Draxxin from the vet this morning, gave him Sustain III calf boluses and drenched him again, temp is 105.7.

He's 2 months old today, probably a good 300 lbs. I've never lost a calf to pneumonia, they've always responded to treatment and with more obvious symptoms. Any other suggestions what we can do?

banamine injectable to help with the fever. Sounds like your doing everything else I would think to do. Good luck it is sure hard to get one to this age then have them get sick.

gizmom

gizmom":2v8l44kd said:
banamine injectable to help with the fever. Sounds like your doing everything else I would think to do. Good luck it is sure hard to get one to this age then have them get sick.

gizmom

Yeah, I was kicking myself I didn't give it to him today - the Resflor Gold has banamine in it.

Hubby is pretty much out of commission right now but my BFF (who also manages her dad's ranch) is pretty darn good at roping :). But there is a limit on how many times we can get him down; even as sick as he is, he's strong and well over twice my weight. Thanks for the good luck!

We had a heifer with an otherwise unexplained high fever that just wouldn't go away. No respiratory symptoms, but general poor doing. Turned out to be EHD, which has decimated the deer in our area. About all that worked was penning her in a nice shady area with water available and frequent banamine doses to keep a handle on that fever. She recovered nicely, but we put a lot of hours into her.

If it is that or a similar disease, you can only manage the symptoms.

Interesting - and scary, jkwilson. Talked to the vet last Fri and he said it was too soon for another round of Draxxin but more Sustain boluses and Banamine would be okay. He was still away from the herd in a cool, shady spot by a creek and was drinking. He no longer had scours but his poo looked similar to cottage cheese, which indicates nursing but not grazing. Worked the cattle Sat and he was with the herd for the round-up but still pretty droopy and slight fever (103). Treated him again and he looks/acts waaaay better, even in the middle of the herd yesterday afternoon instead of the fringe. Clearly not out of the woods but I'm finally getting optimistic he may pull through.

Latest posts