• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Any opinions on products like Safe Gaurd deworming blocks

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
I have used that product in years past, but really not sure if it is worth the investment or not. I usually get my cows up and work them later in the fall, but am wondering if something like those blocks might be beneficial now in the mean time.

Bright Raven

Reaction score
Bill,

I don't use the block but I have gone from injectable parasiticide to the Safe Guard oral paste using the caulking gun.

I would not think you need the block if you work them twice a year.

Cucumber35

Reaction score
I usually pour cows and inject calves with ivermectin after calving. Pour whole herd late summer (need to soon) and put the SafeGuard blocks out in fall for the cows. They didn't eat them fast enough last year and I'm not sure the blocks are worth the expense. Might look into something else this year.

TexasBred

Reaction score
Ky hills":2haw1gr9 said:
I have used that product in years past, but really not sure if it is worth the investment or not. I usually get my cows up and work them later in the fall, but am wondering if something like those blocks might be beneficial now in the mean time.

They work. I think you're suppose to remove all free choice salt before putting them out.

Craig Miller

Reaction score
I used them the first year i had cows. It is impossible to know which cows get enough wormer and which dont.

TexasBred

Reaction score
BobbyLummus1":53zkx9xw said:
How much are they a piece ? and how many cows does one block cover ?
Bobby I haven't bought any in a few years but one block worms 8 mature cows.

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
Ky hills":3qs6apte said:

My cows turn their nose up at them, now the cubes seem to have worked
well for me.

TexasBred

Reaction score
Caustic Burno":2q7ysb22 said:
Ky hills":2q7ysb22 said:

well for me.
My feed store use to keep a big wash tub full of Safeguard wormer cubes in the store. You just weighed out what you needed and paid for them. I haven't seen any in 4 or 5 years now.

Craig Miller

Reaction score
Caustic Burno":2e7kpq6f said:
Ky hills":2e7kpq6f said:

well for me.

I've never seen the cubes but I did use the pellets my second year. If you can get them all in to eat at the same time is the trick

Bigfoot

Reaction score
Off and on, I've fed them since they came out. Can't swear on the results, but they always ate them. Bought some this spring narry a bite taken. They finally melted in the ground.

The pellets are easy to use on something your already feeding.

wbvs58

Reaction score
These self admin type wormers I would think would speed up the development of resistance to the anthelmintic with some cows getting more than needed and some less.

Ken

Cucumber35

Reaction score
Bigfoot":2jqdhipq said:
Off and on, I've fed them since they came out. Can't swear on the results, but they always ate them. Bought some this spring narry a bite taken. They finally melted in the ground.

The pellets are easy to use on something your already feeding.

That's kind of my experience, we have used them before and while I'm not sure how well they worked they at least got eaten. I'm sure mostly by a certain group of cows that are pigs, and not so much by some of the others. Last year it took them 2-3 times as long as it should have for them to eat most of it and the rest finally disappeared after enough rain. Was kind of disappointing. I feed protein/mineral tubs the rest of the year and even made sure they ran out before I put out the blocks. They didn't seem to care.

dieselbeef

Reaction score
I use em off on when the weather is dry..usually for the other treatment after they get a pouron

snoopdog

Reaction score
Weve used the blocks and pellets before , I believe the pellets are more economical than the blocks. We now use injectable because of the resistance issue and economic reasons .

Jeanne - Simme Valley

Reaction score
As mentioned, they are better than nothing. If you have the ability to work your cows, you are so much better off using something for each individual animal by weight. If you don't have a way to work your cows, than go for it. But, IMHO, noone should own cattle if they can't handle them in some kind of work facility. Doesn't have to be fancy, but you need to be able to catch your cattle individually for unknown problems. Safeguard is a really good produce. I would use their drench.

kilroy60

Reaction score
I've used them once but was not a fan of them. They are pricey and you're not sure if all are getting the amount needed.

TexasBred

Reaction score
kilroy60":pg6fxr6m said:
I've used them once but was not a fan of them. They are pricey and you're not sure if all are getting the amount needed.
Dosages for most all wormers are based on weight of the animal. Most of us "guess" at that so we never know if we gave them the right amount with and injectable or pour-on wormer. At least with Safeguard it's a three day process so intake should average out to recommended amount. Never seen one just flat refuse it.

Latest posts