Any one know

Help Support CattleToday:

rgv

Reaction score
Baled an old field that has been brushogged only for years.
There was alot of goldenrod and also lots of a weed that almost looked like reeds canary grass (it's not). The shoots looked like reeds but the stem was much more coarse and the shoots were farther apart than on reeds.
This is bottom ground along a creek.
Any idea what this stuff is called.
This field was left after planting milo probably 15 years ago and the owners just let it grow and brushogged it every summer.
There was an amazing amount of fescue in large patches of the field.
I baled it all off to get it cleaned up and deciding whether to spray and drill or disc and strart from scratch.
It is preety rough as in never flattned out so I am leaning torward discing and replanting.

Use what nature gave you. If fescue is there, it may only take some coaxing with some 34-0-0 to get it to cover the entire field. You said it is bottomland along a creek; that is made for fescue assuming the soil is primarily a clay base soil. Also, being located in Missouri I would think that fescue would thrive in your neck of the woods. Good Luck!

I forgot. Take soil samples from the apparantly poorest parts of the field, take a half dozen or more, combine them all together and get them analyzed.
Then fertilize/lime the the test. Then fall seed the fescue and frost seed the clover

Yup - agree. Will for sure do test and fertilze etc.
My question is really on any guesses on the type of weed.
The owner has kept it brush hogged which has kept the junk to just the perinials type weeds.
If i spray and drill, want to make sure of what to use.
I would for sure just drill this field, but it just has so many small ditches, the old dirt rows etc that you jack your jaw driving over it the wrong direction.
I think i may need to disc and to get in a beter usable condition.
Neighbor has a culti packer that cleans them up real good after discing.

rgv":xq57uwu3 said:
Yup - agree. Will for sure do test and fertilze etc.
My question is really on any guesses on the type of weed.
The owner has kept it brush hogged which has kept the junk to just the perinials type weeds.
If i spray and drill, want to make sure of what to use.
I would for sure just drill this field, but it just has so many small ditches, the old dirt rows etc that you jack your jaw driving over it the wrong direction.
I think i may need to disc and to get in a beter usable condition.
Neighbor has a culti packer that cleans them up real good after discing.

Disk it and drill fescue then cultipack it then frost seed clover in the winter. It won;t much hurt the existing fescue. You'll release a whole new world of seed bank bu if you clip it a couple of times during the year he next year will have fewer weeds and more fescue. Or you can skip the clover this winter and spray it with Grazon P-D once in the spring and then 2,4-d in the fall then frost seed the clvoer.

Latest posts