Any of you going to put a little Nitrogen on this fall?

Help Support CattleToday:

shaz

Reaction score
I haven't since 2009 but this looks like a good year. I'm thinking 50-60# actual per acre in Sept and graze it in Dec or Jan. If I can get by til Feb 1 without hay feeding then it's a break even.

shaz":1s85l64k said:
I haven't since 2009 but this looks like a good year. I'm thinking 50-60# actual per acre in Sept and graze it in Dec or Jan. If I can get by til Feb 1 without hay feeding then it's a break even.

I was going to spray some back in july if we got good rains but since we haven't and im already feeding hay and in some places the grass was ate down to dirt nope. I will save the money till the spring and try again.

skyhightree1":2skrt56v said:
shaz":2skrt56v said:

I was going to spray some back in july if we got good rains but since we haven't and im already feeding hay and in some places the grass was ate down to dirt nope. I will save the money till the spring and try again.

I tried a 32-0-0 with Grazon this year and can't tell it did anything.

shaz":1dg95tl8 said:
skyhightree1":1dg95tl8 said:
shaz":1dg95tl8 said:

The spring nitro I put on really did the trick especially since it rained a sold week day after I put it on. You have to catch it at the right time and its not a long term deal or atleast my experience with it its not.

I will put it on in about 3 weeks as soon as I can get some paddocks grazed down. Will do about 20 acres and then give it to the cows a couple acres at a time starting in January.
I am stockpiling fescue.

i'll probably try to get around 50 lbs / ac down but I'm concentrating on K20 and P205 since my fields are low in those areas. I already put down 800 lb last fall and this spring of coated urea so I'm pretty good in that. Hoping to get some lime down as soon as I get this 20 ac. cleared. I'd also like to get some gypsum spread.

for pastures sulfur coated urea is the best thing you could ever use. it will sit forever with out going up into the air.. won't wash away with a heavy rain.. just slowly dissolves even on a steep hillside.

I believe we are going to give it a try. Pops is thinking the coated. Glad to see it mentioned. Thinking 50-60 lbs. If we can make it happen. Second cut was ruined. Going to try to get what we can and strip graze it.

kenny thomas":2jxvjm6l said:
I will put it on in about 3 weeks as soon as I can get some paddocks grazed down. Will do about 20 acres and then give it to the cows a couple acres at a time starting in January.
I am stockpiling fescue.
Are these paddocks that have not been grazed all year or ones that have been grazed thru out the year. And how short do you graze them down?

shaz":12hct055 said:
skyhightree1":12hct055 said:
shaz":12hct055 said:

My experience has been when it rains it shows. I've learned that it remains till eroded, mowed, or eaten away. Just need to wait for the plant to pick it up and use it.

I'm not wintering stock but am getting ready for 2018 hay season. Will be Austrian Winter Peas and "Jumbo" Rye for me this fall. I put out peas in the fall last year, worked them in this spring and then planted SS and had a super crop with no fertilizer then or for the SS this year. Coastal patch got aerated and commercial. The Rain gods have been benevolent this year for a change and it shows.

Banjo":2ceyeum5 said:
kenny thomas":2ceyeum5 said:
I am stockpiling fescue.
Are these paddocks that have not been grazed all year or ones that have been grazed thru out the year. And how short do you graze them down?
These are paddocks that are now,getting grazed,for,the third time this year. Trying to get them down to 4" or so before i spread nitrogen.

In reference to Grazon Next; our pastures had NEVER been sprayed or fertilized other than chicken litter. Had Grazon Next sprayed in June and it ate up the pigweed, pokeweed, etc. The pasture was also infested with horse nettles and that microstegium. I mean there were nettles every two foot. I will say it performed as promised with over 90 percent eradication.
Next year will do another application a little earlier. Well worth the money. P.S. The guy also added a surficant.

Dogs and Cows":kpzgtpfd said:
shaz":kpzgtpfd said:
skyhightree1":kpzgtpfd said:

Shaz, I did similar this spring. The Nitrogen did great and I saw good response...the Grazon not so much...very disappointing. When did you apply? I put mine on in early March...maybe too early? I thought the Grazon would have done something...but it looks like it did nothing at all.

Tim

I was dealing with a tall buttercup problem. This was late April and the Grazon did fine. I wanted to see if the spray fertilizer would do anything so I can use it in a drought sometime. From what I can tell it didn't make a difference.

Thank you. I also have a buttercup problem. Put it on too late to help with that. Since you said it worked well in April on those I will try at that time for next years Grazon. Believe that will take care of the problem and not need to use it again for 4 or 5 years hopefully. So April is not too late for him to add in spray fertilizer?

ddd, do you see a copper problem with the Sulphur addition? Do you have to supplement copper? I just read a study on that the other day. I can't remember if it was for TN or KY, but one or the other.

talltimber":3gggbft1 said:
ddd, do you see a copper problem with the Sulphur addition? Do you have to supplement copper? I just read a study on that the other day. I can't remember if it was for TN or KY, but one or the other.

i'm not sure what a copper problem is .. haha.

?

kenny thomas":1w2ai6q0 said:
I am stockpiling fescue.

How many pounds of n do u put down? Iam thinking of doing the same thing and maybe drilling in some wheat

I try to spread about 50lb of actual N so about 70 lb spread. I drilled some wheat in mine 2 years ago and done forage tests in December. It tested a little over 21%. Without the wheat about 16%. With no extra N 12.8%.

Going to put out some chicken litter and a little N on the rest and try to stock pile some fescue for winter grazing.

Latest posts