Any jerky recipes ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Cross-7

Reaction score
I've tried several they were all pretty good but nothing to brag about

Anybody have a good one ?

I can't eat jerky if I made it. Grosses me out for some reason. I can eat jerky someone else made though. Strange, I know. I like Dale's sauce on it, and crushed pepper.

I just put some in the oven about an hour ago. I had cut up the rear quarters of a small doe a few days ago and I bought a packet of jerkey seasoning at the local country store that did 5 lbs. It had seasoning and a little packet of cure (looks like pink salt). I dissolved the seasoning and cure in 2.5 cups water and worked it into 5 lbs of venison cut into strips and covered it in the fridge overnight. I put toothpicks through the strips and hung them through the oven racks with aluminum foil on the bottom to catch the drippings. Oven at 200 with door open a few inches. Looking and smelling delicious. A smoker is probably better but I figured it was worth a try

I've tried this one other time but with random seasonings and no "cure" it was edible but not great. From what I've been reading the salt cure will make it much better. I'll let you know how this batch turned out once I try it.

Cut all fat off and cut into strips
Seasoned with everything I had
Worcestershire, little soy sauce, liquid smoke.
Marinating over night.
Going into the dehydrator tomorrow.

Dang it. I fell asleep. Cooked it 6 hours. It's not black but it's real crunchy and 0% moisture. Good flavor though. 4 hours would have been good I bet.

I've started going to the supermercado and buying their fajita marinade to make mine. Just clean up the fat and put it in the dehydrator.

Bigfoot":2mhtdcnk said:
I can't eat jerky if I made it. Grosses me out for some reason. I can eat jerky someone else made though. Strange, I know. I like Dale's sauce on it, and crushed pepper.

Dales is the way to go. I don't think you'll find it near you though cross. I've brought several bottles to people I know in oklahoma.

I got a recipe from Joe a couple of years ago that was really good. Not spicy, I can;t handle spices.

dun":19h622cx said:
I got a recipe from Joe a couple of years ago that was really good. Not spicy, I can;t handle spices.

Mine turned out pretty good
May have got a little too much pepper mix.
I put just a little BBQ sauce in the marinate but it gave it too much flavor.

I think marinate it (leave out BBQ sauce)
Then add coarse ground black pepper before putting on the dehydrator

My favorite base for the marinade is Louisiana Supreme Teriyaki sauce, but it's getting hard to find.

Add in hot or BBQ sauce to suit. I like some chopped Habanero, crushed red pepper, and minced garlic in mine. The jerky won't come out nearly as hot as the marinade, so if you like it spicy, don't hold back. I also add a good amount of Worcestershire and a dash of soy.

I also have a vacuum tumbler that really makes a difference in the flavor.

I will smoke for a few hours, and if it's still a little too moist, I finish it in a dehydrator.

Latest posts