Any Iditarod fans out there?

Help Support CattleToday:

Lammie

Reaction score
It's that time of year. I may be a Texan living in a place where it only snows every couple of years, but I am an Iditarod fan. We do a unit on it in my class, and we all draw a musher and research him or her, then we plot the trail and put our "dogs", (cut outs of huskies) on the trail each day to track our progress. It is educational and it is very exciting, as we have generated interest in the school and several other teachers and administrators are participating.

I am having an Iditaron Kickoff Party at the house this weekend. Race starts Saturday. I drew Lance Mackey, last year's winner, and I am pumped! I hope he can repeat.

We even made t-shirts this year.

Any other fans out there?

Pretty cool that school project Lammie. Yes, I follow it, not as closely as you do though. Know a couple of folks who have worked as handlers for the mushers. Tough race, tough mushers and really tough dogs! :nod:

Wife used to run dogs quite a bit and, yes, she pays pretty close attention to the Iditarod. We still have a sled and a training cart, but haven't run the dogs for probably 5-6 years. It's a blast and the dogs love it. I think you're school project is pretty neat. How old are the kids?

VanC":6n9192vj said:
Wife used to run dogs quite a bit and, yes, she pays pretty close attention to the Iditarod. We still have a sled and a training cart, but haven't run the dogs for probably 5-6 years. It's a blast and the dogs love it. I think you're school project is pretty neat. How old are the kids?

High school. Special Education students. I think it would be absolutely great to be able to be there for the race. The dogs are just stupendous and the isolation of the trail is far from anything I can imagine. 1,100 miles. Wow.

Lance Mackey goes from 57th yesterday to 1st today!

Is this a great race, or what?????? :banana: :banana: :cowboy: :banana:

Lammie I am a Texan too but I lived there from '64 to '70. Twice I went in those 6 years and back then it was more pure it seems.

There are many other local Dog Sled Races all over AK where you actually have better access to watch. I saw many on the Kenai Peninsula. One nephew lives at Ninilchick and races in many locals there. We flew up in '99 and watched one of his. He is at the Iditarod now, but just watching. He'll send an email and maybe a pic or two when he gets back home.

backhoeboogie":3rxu1lu6 said:
Lammie I am a Texan too but I lived there from '64 to '70. Twice I went in those 6 years and back then it was more pure it seems.

There are many other local Dog Sled Races all over AK where you actually have better access to watch. I saw many on the Kenai Peninsula. One nephew lives at Ninilchick and races in many locals there. We flew up in '99 and watched one of his. He is at the Iditarod now, but just watching. He'll send an email and maybe a pic or two when he gets back home.

That would be great. Maybe I could use him as a resource for next year? I think it would be wonderful to have someone that has seen the event and knows dog sledding. It would mean a lot to the kids.