any ideas

Help Support CattleToday:

M5farm

Reaction score
I am not looking for a cure from the forum, it does not appear life threatening so she will get a trip to the vet first of the week. I put her in the chute and examined it. It is attached to her just inside her vagina on the left wall about 2" in it will go in when pushed but comes back to this position it will come out if you pull on it and it looks like a bull nut just not as dense it feels like it attaches with a cord. She did not object to it being manipulated so it does not hurt her. I think it may be a cyst. She had a calf on March 12 and it is healthy. She can urinate fine .

Cyst or the start of a vaginal prolapse, and going by your description of how it's attached, I would say cyst, but the only cyst I ever saw was a lot more red than that.

For what it's worth, We had a similar "thing" protruding from a cow that had calved but it was messier looking. We rushed her off to the vet thinking something drastic had happened and he pronounced it fat and removed it. He said had a tear in the birth canal and that it would heal. She never had more trouble and bred back.

I have a cow with one of those and a couple of vets tell me it's a Bartholin's Gland cyst. It's quite soft to press, comes and goes and appears not to interfere with mating or calving. The only trick it's played on me in several years was two calvings ago when it must have burst in mid-pregnancy (possibly infected at that time?), causing some blood and mucous at the back of the cow and I presumed she'd slipped her calf. I sent the cow off to low-grazing out of the way and it wasn't until the day before she calved that I realized she was still pregnant!

Aaron":3cgg03in said:
Looks like the start of a vaginal prolapse.
From what I could feel the vaginal wall is where it is supposed to be this is a growth that can be moved it is only on the left side. When I pulled it out slightly it was attached to the wall.

Don't know what it is but it will be gone in a month or so and back agin next time she calves. Got one that been the last two or three years. Has not hurt any thing that I can tell.

I spoke to my vet and told him about it he told me to leave it alone it was a cyst that would most likely go away. If it didn't he would remove it. Checked her today and it is about 1/4 size it was and is not protruding anymore. As bez likes to say benign neglect is the best remedy sometimes..

Latest posts