Any ideas ?

Help Support CattleToday:

hillsdown

Reaction score
Yesterday I noticed this slightly and thought she may be over heated but now today with a temp of 50f outside it doesn't seem right.

Mandy that had twins on Friday in almost ,like, panting ,not with tongue sticking out or anything but you definitely can see her breathing, but it is not labored at all. Ears are warm and temp was 101.6 normal. Her after birth came off shortly after calving and she has a very healthy appetite (it is hard to tell that she just had twins). Her babies are nursing and both are bright eyed and bushy tailed (as much as newborns should be).

This seems so familiar to me but can't put my finger on where I have seen this before besides in the summer when it is really hot. We have had unsually warm temps this week and the girls are very wooly so that might just be it.

Any other ideas,
Thanks

Did she clean? 100% That would be a first guess on twins.
Milking fever starting? losing to much cal or mag...if you had the hay we had, crap, down on calcium?
pnemonia...you probably already thought that

I'll think on some more

I would think milk fever, but she sounds pretty normal other than the panting. Could be she is just overtired from those two kids, and the warm weather is exacerbating it. I would keep an eye on her for a few days, but if she is fine other than that and the calves are eating, I wouldn't worry too much.

She cleaned immediately after calving, calves were born around 9pm and when I did a check again at 2am the afterbirth was off.

Temp is normal

Appetite is good..manure is normal for right after calving.

I have pretty much ruled out:
Mastitis (udder and milk is good)
Milk fever (warm ears and no symptoms) (temp is normal not low)
Ketosis ( usually the breath smell like nail polish remover in ketosis cows)
Fatty cow ( she was in good BS for being pregnant with twins)
Pneumonia (unlikely for her, she is acts healthy and does not have a temp or actual labored breathing)

Maybe I am being paranoid, I will keep an eye on her and keep pulling her temp. as long as she is up and about with a healthy appetite maybe I shouldn't worry so much. I just have this nagging feeling..

Thanks for the replys.

hillsdown":2ghxdpfn said:
I just have this nagging feeling..

All the more reason to keep an eye on her. Perhaps it is the warmer temps outside and you being over-concerned. Or it could be that something is brewing, but hasn't really manifested itself yet in any other ways other than the breathing.

Not cleaning thoroughly and/or milk fever were my first thoughts on this as well.

Katherine

Just a thought ...

I was looking at a kid yesterday that didnt look quite right, sort of holding his mouth open a touch. I realised on closer inspection that this nose was all blocked up, he was breathing through his mouth. Gave him some horse cough and snot medicine, and some oxytet, he has improved slightly. Much more comfortable anyway.

I'm sure 50F is warm for you and that may be it . I have picked up on pnuemonia cases before the temp spikes, so I think your strategy of watching and rechecking her temp is a good one .

Larry

I once had a goat that I called the vet out to see. The receptionist asked what her symptoms were and I told her temp was fine, nothing I coould put my finger on, but she was just "off". Turned out to be pnuemonia (if I spelled that wrong its Larry's fault, I copied his! :lol2: ), and I caught it early enough. Vet could hear it in her lungs.

Don't underestimate your intuition, especially when you spend as much time around your animals as I know you do. Watch and see.

Well I took her temp again this afternoon and it was 101 exactly..She seems to be fine. She was chewing her cud and laying down with babies on each side ,but when I came up she stopped chewing and the breathing was a little rapid. I am now thinking it's me and she is getting miffed at me always being up there checking on her and her babies..(maybe that is why it seemed so familiar as it has been quite a few months since I have been "bugging" moms and the new babies.) :lol2: So I am leaving them all alone until tomorrow..She is such a gentle cow but even they have their limits.. ;-)

Thank you for all of your advice it is greatly appreciated.. :tiphat:

I remember you pic of Mandy in the barn/shed. Is she normally there or did you bring her in because of her twins? If she normally stays outside maybe it is allergies?

Its very common in the case of twins that one afterbirth is shed immediately after calving and the other one stays inside in its entirety. If it was my cow I would insert an intra-uterine pessary just to be on the safe side.

Latest posts