any ideas on this one.

Help Support CattleToday:

callmefence

Keyboard cowboy
Reaction score
As usual I've been buying breds for summer grass. We got this girl Saturday. She came through with 2 others identical to her. Shiny, pretty good condition, 4 months, and still wet.
And cheap enough.
Spent Saturday night in the pens with 7 other new cows. Sunday morning I brand , vaccinate, tag and turn em out with around 40 other cattle. Planning to move them to another pasture today. Tuesday we got a he'll of a storm, very heavy rain, hail, and nonstop lighting. After the storm I decided to go fishing. I put the cattle in a small pasture by the house. Left my son in charge and spent the night at the river.
Last evening we started getting them ready to move and I noticed her missing. A long search finally found her. She had got missed on the move and was in the big pasture. Laid up in thick brush and looks to have been in a small area for a couple days.
She looks off. Droopy , disoriented, some muscle tremor. Booger nosed, . And somewhat aggressive when pushed.
(She was very easy to work)
this morning I found her drinking from a little drain near her camp. She wouldn't take feed.. When observed from a distance she appears drunken and has that far away look. When pushed she gets very alert and can move just fine.
I suspect maybe some sort of shipping sickness. Lost her calf got sold, hauled, worked,and stormed on in a few days?
The way she is camped in one area , almost guarding it. If I didn't know better I'd bet she had a calf.

This morning she had a considerable rank lookingdischarge from one quarter.

I don't believe there is any way I can get her back to the pens without a rodeo. Which with the boy home is a option. But really not one I care much for.

Is it possible that with a calf being pulled off her this time of year, with all the lush grass, that she's developed mastitis, or some other infection in her bag?

callmefence":2os8uci4 said:
Laid up in thick brush and looks to have been in a small area for a couple days.
She looks off. Droopy , disoriented, some muscle tremor. Booger nosed, . And somewhat aggressive when pushed.
(She was very easy to work)
this morning I found her drinking from a little drain near her camp. She wouldn't take feed.. When observed from a distance she appears drunken and has that far away look.

Can you get close enough to check her breathing, see if it is rapid/laboured? Sounds like pneumonia to me. You probably will have to pen her and take her temp and administer antibiotic...that should clear up possible mastitis as well.

Bacterial infection under control by her... then all the added new stresses combined to lower her natural immune system and ability to fight it off and the bacteria has overwhelmed her system... = shipping fever, pneumonia ect
She might fight it off on her own, but I'd help her out and knock down the bacterial load with antibiotics.

Catch her, take her temp and I'd use Zactran bcs it lasts twice as long as NuFlor and I wouldn't want to catch her twice.

I rarely try to move a single by herself. If I get one separated out like that I will kick a couple of my old faithfulls back with her. Most of the time they will all come out but I have had to leave them a day or two to mix in. I can usually walk them all back out in a couple days at worse.

Latest posts