Reaction score
Grass Fed Red Angus, 11 months old.

1863434846_4069533192.jpg
http://cattletoday.com/photos/data/591/thumbs/1862602925_03804ea194.jpg

1863423536_fca9ad8687.jpg
http://cattletoday.com/photos/data/591/1862593399_7e122b6b15.jpg

Jon

Jim62":grhrj1zo said:
Doesn't seem to be very good at following directions.....

Actually, as always, she was giving me directions. And no, I'm not very good at taking them. :help:

Anybody have any specific faults they can point out? As I said, I am trying to learn from this.
As I noted he has been grass fed. That could account for some of his light weight etc. I can recognize that his back is not as straight (flat) as some I have seen praised for a straight back. His sheath looks normal (not angled ).

Thanks in advance

Jon

Do you have any other grass fed animals to compare him to? Management makes a big difference in growth and appearance.

I wouldn't keep him for breeding ,I don't like his top line ,but other than that he should finish out nice, put him on feed till he's 14-15 months old and see what he looks like. Maybe you could still band him with with a big bander , I never did any at 11 months , but he should do okay as a bull.

MissouriExile":1cm6c5c6 said:
Jim62":1cm6c5c6 said:
Doesn't seem to be very good at following directions.....

Anybody have any specific faults they can point out?

Thanks in advance

Jon

You be right, the sway back is not a big plus for me. But that don't affect tha taste a tha meat any :D :D

He is slightly pinched in the heartgirth, lighter muscled than I prefer in the hindquarter and most importantly he has a weak loin.

My main concern would be the longevity of the productive life of his daughters because of the weak loin. Can you imagine what a cow with a very weak loin would look like after 5 calvings? I can assure you the cow won't improve with age and will sooner or later break down often resulting in you having a bottle baby to raise.

Frankie":2a5dlws0 said:
Do you have any other grass fed animals to compare him to? Management makes a big difference in growth and appearance.

I think you may have hit on a weak spot in my management. This is the end of our first year in the business and on this property.
It was heavily overgrown a year ago and I have bush hogged a great deal the last 10 months trying to get the pastures in shape. I sprayed for weeds on part of the pastures late in the summer but am waiting for spring to go after them in earnest.

The grass is the weak spot. A lot of grass under everything but I believe all of it is old fescue. I suspect both he and the other cattle have not received all the nutrition they needed over the summer both because the fescue did not do well during the heat and because of the endrophyte (spp?) issue.

I am going to replant pasture by pasture beginning in the spring. Hopefully next year will be better forage wise.

Thanks to everyone for the constructive input. I appreciate it.

Jon

In the fields that you can;t get to rightaway to refurb, frost seed clover in january. It really helps with the old endophyte infected KY-31 fescue

dun":38dkj1ol said:
In the fields that you can;t get to rightaway to refurb, frost seed clover in january. It really helps with the old endophyte infected KY-31 fescue

To frost seed do you cut short, broadcast seed, drag? Will that do it?

(Thanks, by the way)

Jon

MissouriExile":3q385uhu said:
dun":3q385uhu said:

To frost seed do you cut short, broadcast seed, drag? Will that do it?

(Thanks, by the way)

Jon

Graze or clip it short, broadcast around 10 lbs of seed per acre. It has to be done while we're getting the freezing and thawing cycles and there has to be eboough moisture in the soil that frost heaves

MissouriExile":23vyojpb said:
Grass Fed Red Angus, 11 months old.

Jon

I sure wouldn't slaughter him, looking like he does. I believe I would grain-finish him.

I would feed him out for the next 3 months and see what he looks like then. What does his background look like?

Latest posts