any good mags?

Help Support CattleToday:

monkeywerkz

Reaction score
I know there have been a couple of posts relating to magazines. It seems like some of them were centered around a specific breed. I'm looking for a good magazine that will help me with the basics of raising cattle, but not breed specific. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

Gulf Coast Cattleman, Southern Livestock Standard, Weekly Livestock Reporter, The Cattleman, Successful Farming, Hereford World, Drovers, Beef, The Furrow

Thanks, Txag. That's a whole list of them. I'll go look up a few of them and see which ones in particular fit what I am looking for.

Thanks for the quick reply!

I know for a fact that Drovers and Beef are free if you access their websites and ask for a subscription. The cattleman can usually be purchased at the Tractor Supply Store, if you have one nearby. Successful Farming is also a magazine I subscribe to. Its really geared toward small farmers and has some neat articles and stories about some of the families who are living on the farms. They always profile 2-3 each issue and give a monthly diary of what the farm life is really like, through the eyes of the farming family. It's fairly inexpensive too, seems like it's about $10 for a yrs worth.

monkeywerkz":1nw1081a said:
Thanks, Txag. That's a whole list of them. I'll go look up a few of them and see which ones in particular fit what I am looking for.

Thanks for the quick reply!

i didn't pay attention to your location when i replied. some of the ones i mentioned are geared more to the south, but they still might make interesting reading for you.

Cascade Cattle Magazine would be good for you. Farm and Ranch Living is a good mag. the diaries are nice. What the diaries are: they are when family lives on a farm and they keep a day to day thing of what all went on on the farm that day. They have everything form Hog Farms, to Turkey FArms, Dairy Farms you name it. Ive got several issues and theres a family that raises beef cattle along with bucking bulls, . AW Thorne Ranch wqas in one issue and they showed awesome pics of the Braunveih cattle. You should check it out ...the country pics are awesome.

Progressive Farmer, although I nearly lost confidence in them when they predicted that soon there would be only about five or so breeds of beef cattle left, and the rest would be hobby farmer breeds. Hereford America covers more than just Herefords. It is out of South Dakota

Thanks for all of the great suggestions. I signed up for the free subscriptions of Drovers and Beef magazines. I ordered the free issue of the Limousin World magazine as well (breed specific, but it was free so why not). I may look at a few of these others and see what they are like.

Thanks to all for the good suggestions and quick responses.

monkeywerkz":gyhlccbd said:
Thanks for all of the great suggestions. I signed up for the free subscriptions of Drovers and Beef magazines. I ordered the free issue of the Limousin World magazine as well (breed specific, but it was free so why not). I may look at a few of these others and see what they are like.

Thanks to all for the good suggestions and quick responses.

Contact http://[email protected] . Ask to be put on the angus e-List. Lots of Angus promotion but also much very good information about what's going on in the industry.
Delete what you don't want to read and read the rest. That's what I do.

Latest posts