Any good ideas for a latch on a pipe gate?

Help Support CattleToday:

Bobg

Reaction score
I am redoing the working area of my corral, since I always had a jury rigged affair. I have some Powder River gates that use a chain to latch them shut. I don't particularly like to use the chaing since it doesn't go all the way around my posts. Does anyone have any idea or examples that you have used?

Thanks,
Bobg

On the ones that the chain is too short I just add a section of chain with a carbineer (sp).

dun

Take a section of 1 1/2" ID pipe and weld it at a 45 degree angle from where the chain latch is to the top of the gate. Drop a piece of 1" sucker rod thru the pipe and mark where it hits the center of the post. Cut a hole in the post about 1 1/2" wide and 3" long being sure to leave room below the suckerod to allow for sagging. I try to use the ends of the sucker rod with the connector on it for a handle but you can just bend the rod 90 degrees and make a handle that way. It's a good latch to use either on foot or on horseback. Another advantage is that if ole Bossy is pressuring you, if you can drop the latch on her side of the post she's still captured.Z

We have spring loaded latched on our pens - I really like them, you can swing the gate and it will latch. It's real handy when I'm working them by myself I can push one through and slam the gate on anothers face before she can get by. We got them at the COOP, but they aren't cheap and you need to have good hinges, our's are sleeved pipe with grease inserts.

mtncows":1zkog7y1 said:
Tractor Supply and Jeffers have neat gate latches that work

We've got about half a dozen of the ones from Jeffers and I think they are less than $20/each. Work really well - especially when you need to throw a gate closed and move on.