Any good elec fence insulators that won't crack?

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
I put up some elec fence back in July or early August this year, and noticed yesterday, the Zareba 5" extension insulators on my tee-posts are already cracking--mostly on the "reverse or backside" types. They crack right where the arrow is on this photo. I have one on every other post--about every 20' and not any real weight stress.
gwol.jpg

Are there better ones available? I realize these are plastic or vinyl, but expected to get a little better life out of them than this.

I've got some old Gallaghers that have been up for 15-16 years and they're still doing fine

Do you have a real need to have the wire that far from the post? I moved away from that style and started using the black push pin type. I think they are also alot more UV resisant

Yes, I really need the extensions--the fence isn't perfectly straight and I would have to use a lot more of the short ones.
These say they are "guaranteed for 5 years" so I guess the manufacturer will make them good, but I don't want to use this brand again, tho I thought Zareba made some good products. I'll look into the kencove stuff.

These look better--and a good price:

http://www.kencove.com/fence/detail.php?code=IT6W

I've had good luck with Kencove and Dare brands. Never had much luck with Zareba or Red Snapper. Black color are suppossed to last longer too.

I have had to use those like you posted in the picture and they are my LEAST favorite insulator. I really hate those ones that wrap around like that. When you pull your wire tight you have to make sure they are all pulling in the same direction or it will peel them off if they are not. And they break easily.

I found a closeout sale on eBay for 6" Red Snappr insulators that I really like and I bought 8 bags really cheap. They simply snap onto the flat part of the T post. Even they are hard to find anymore.

I prefer Red Snappr over most other brands.