Any fruits or veggies I shouldn't feed my cows?

Help Support CattleToday:

presmudjo

Reaction score
We just started a small fruit/veggie stand on weekends. Starting small business for retirement. When some stuff gets to old to sell, and we can't eat anymore, it goes over the fence to the cows. We have 2. They love cantalope! But I started to wonder, what should I not give them? What should I limit if I do give them. They love cucumbers too! One we named Jethro, like in Gibbs, hoping he would be smarter than his dad was, the other the kids named Cocoa. Both should have been called dinner as they will go to the freezer. I just don't want to opps and kill my meat! I'll try to keep up with the post and not be a one post wonder. It just is so busy raising 4 grandkids and trying to make enough money to do it. Both cows/steers are a little over 1 year.

Thanks for any info and help. You all have been great for information on raising our beef. I've learned more here than any other source of info!

presmudjo

What about peaches? Will the pits bother them, will they eat the pit? Mangos? Cabbage? I know some things can be poison to them, but don't know about these type things.

Thanks
presmudjo

The only thing with the peach pit is I would be worried some about choking and more yet about breaking teeth. I did not answer this earlier because I didn't know the answer (and still don't). I can't see any reason why the others cannot be fed to the animals, several times the issue of cattle choking on fresh produce have come up so I know it happens and is a valid concern (specifically apples and potatoes but could be about anything really). Actually I wish I were standing on the other side of your fence, I could grab a whole bunch of that stuff ~ lucky you!

My neighbors beside me are only a couple so don't take much. I have learned a great deal in the month we have been in business. I know cucumbers don't like to get wet and touch each other. Cows don't mind that at all. No more buying potatoes in the 50 lb bags. Again if one is wet, guess what happens to the others. I have many pre-made french fries in freezer now. I only feed smaller potatoes to the cows. Tomato sauce is froze and canned. Green peppers sliced and froze. My grocery bill is great on house end, the cows seem to enjoy everything they get. Actually run to the fence when the trailer comes home in evenings. Spoiled brats! I didn't think about pits and teeth. Was actually worried about pits being poison to them.

We are getting repeat customers now, so waste is less. Just have to wait on all permits to be approved, etc. before actual real signs etc. can go up.

What about green peppers and jalapeno peppers? Does hot bother them? Anything make excess bloat?

Thanks
presmudjo

presmudjo":3fa2cwjl said:
My neighbors beside me are only a couple so don't take much. I have learned a great deal in the month we have been in business. I know cucumbers don't like to get wet and touch each other. Cows don't mind that at all. No more buying potatoes in the 50 lb bags. Again if one is wet, guess what happens to the others. I have many pre-made french fries in freezer now. I only feed smaller potatoes to the cows. Tomato sauce is froze and canned. Green peppers sliced and froze. My grocery bill is great on house end, the cows seem to enjoy everything they get. Actually run to the fence when the trailer comes home in evenings. Spoiled brats! I didn't think about pits and teeth. Was actually worried about pits being poison to them.

We are getting repeat customers now, so waste is less. Just have to wait on all permits to be approved, etc. before actual real signs etc. can go up.

What about green peppers and jalapeno peppers? Does hot bother them? Anything make excess bloat?

Thanks
presmudjo

funny you would mention jalapenos...I have one old cow that will eat them like a pig and have tears running out of her eyes....but she still just keeps eating them.

Thanks for the Avacodo advice. Haven't bought them yet. I could, but no one has asked and I know I don't like them. soooo.

Funny about the hot stuff and the cow. Gave mine green peppers tonight. First Time. Seemed to gobble them up, so will see. Hate to see those go over the fence, but nobody was out and this heat in central florida has been so brutal. Last weekend ate us up, but people were out and we sold. Heat factor of over 105, ICE COLD Bloody Mary at home at the end of the day makes ya make it. To hot to even drink a beer. Nobody out today, and the temp was down to 94 without the brutal heat index. Go figure. All we can do is see what tomorrow brings. Kind of sounds like you all that have more than 2 cows and do it for a living!

Thanks
Jo

Well, all I can say is these goodies for my cows is helping Cocoa. He has always been the failure to thrive cow. Didn't help being attacked by pit bull as a young one. Vet been here, vacs, wormers of many kinds. Tried minerals. Like make a cow eat. Tried all sorts of stuff. Finally looking a whole lot better. Guess he wanted vitamins and minerals the old natural way!

Yes that and the saying that time heals all wounds. As long at the cows are still getting grass or hay they should be okay.

I heard on a cooking program last night that rhubarb leaves are poisonous.

Suzie Q":g0tn1q75 said:
Yes that and the saying that time heals all wounds. As long at the cows are still getting grass or hay they should be okay.

I heard on a cooking program last night that rhubarb leaves are poisonous.
Yep to humans too if not prepared propertly.

My brother sells chemicals to some large vegetable possessors in central california. He said all their waste goes to cattle. He saw cattle being fed a loader bucket full of pepper waste into a hay ring so I would say peppers even in large amounts would be safe. I visited him this winter and outside of Gilroy I saw some longhorn steers being fed large amounts of garlic waste. I would love to try that meat and see if it picked up any of the flavor.

Pre-seasoned meat, now that would be interesting! They run for cantaloupe! I think they know when Monday is, they bellow behind the building if they see us milling around.

Several years we fed pumpkins after Halloween. We would get them from the different church fund raisers for a small donation Our cow loved them
They also loved watermelon. We also fed alot of day old bread. Our calves sure got fat.
George

My cows are not crazy on bread. Several years ago we lived at a place that had a couple scraggle cows. Fences were terrible, etc. But cheap rent to feed cows. Landlord worked at donut place so once a month we got loads of old stuff. They loved it. They got out and I sat on the back of the pickup tailgate with bread in hand with 2 cows following me down a major road at 5 pm rush hour. Wish I had a camera for that one, I could have won funniest video.

Latest posts