Any Crawfishermen Out There

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

How are crawfish prices in your part of the world?

There are groups in South LA threatening to strike if buyers do not raise prices they pay to the fishermen. This is another industry that will have to get vertically integrated if the fisherman wants to capture another piece of the pie.
Last weekend live crawfish were $1.50 pound live in my area.

They say this is a bad year for the crawfish market because Mardi Gras came so early this year. The crawfish were hard to come by with the colder weather. I usually wait until the price get lower before I start eating them. It will be interesting to see how they come out with the strike. Also, I read this is the earliest Easter has been since 1913.

I actually went crawfishing last Saturday. We ran about 150 traps and only had 1 sack to boil. They are still too small.

How big are these crawfish of yours down there? Biggest I have seen here are about 5 inches long. For giggles we have boiled up a bunch, but takes forever to clean and eat them!

MistyMorning":34xqfqgl said:
For giggles we have boiled up a bunch, but takes forever to clean and eat them!

Only if you don't know what you're doing ;-)

Sugarman, My dad fishes in L Pearl, and they aren't even fishing. Running 400 nets and getting 2 sacks. Useless and then getting only $1.00 per pound from Jap.

This is the first in 25 years that we are not going to crawfish own our property. Due in part to the supply has gone though the roof in the last few years because everyone from here to the coast with 3 acers or more of standing water has traps in trying to make some cash (which I dont have a problem with, if you want it then get you some). More important than that is the fact that growing grain on our farm is much more profitable. We also have a lot of laser leveling to do this spring.

We have only ever used cray fish for bait.....
I'm sure they are very good, fantastic even. However; at this point it would be, to me, kind of like eating a leech or a wax worm. But is not such a bad thought ~ if you go fishing, and don't catch supper, then you can eat your bait! Kind of a win/win situation :nod:

angie":13j2l09p said:
if you go fishing, and don't catch supper, then you can eat your bait! Kind of a win/win situation :nod:

That's how it is when I go redfishing or speckled trout fishing with shrimp!!!! :cowboy:

angie":3vwibg4v said:
We have only ever used cray fish for bait.....
I'm sure they are very good, fantastic even. However; at this point it would be, to me, kind of like eating a leech or a wax worm. But is not such a bad thought ~ if you go fishing, and don't catch supper, then you can eat your bait! Kind of a win/win situation :nod:

Just think of them as being small poormans lobster. We used to eat them a lot, but aorund here they only get a couple of inches long. Still have some crawfish traps out in the barn, now I use them to trap fish.

Angus/Brangus":3rnq8kch said:
gerardplauche":3rnq8kch said:
angie":3rnq8kch said:
if you go fishing, and don't catch supper, then you can eat your bait! Kind of a win/win situation :nod:

That's how it is when I go redfishing or speckled trout fishing with shrimp!!!! :cowboy:

Yea, nothing like eating some of those shrimp that were half rotten to begin with, then frozen then thawed out to rot in the sun some more. After a few six-packs, ya never know the difference anyway:p

I don't know if you are being sarcastic or not...Oh well, it can't change past. I have been known to eat a bait shrimp or two... :cowboy:

gerardplauche":rv2gslei said:
angie":rv2gslei said:

I don't know if you are being sarcastic or not...Oh well, it can't change past. I have been known to eat a bait shrimp or two... :cowboy:

You have to remember that angie is from MN where they go ice fishing and eat fish jello.

Angus/Brangus":3ohtzn8z said:
I don't know if you are being sarcastic or not...Oh well, it can't change past. I have been known to eat a bait shrimp or two... :cowboy

You cajuns will eat anything but your best is ettoufee and boudin. I've been trying to get just the right boudin mix for a while now. It's been fun trying!! :nod:

Try getting a hold of Don's Specialty Meats in Carencro, LA. They are unrivaled!!!

Angus/Brangus":1vu8j31y said:
gerardplauche":1vu8j31y said:
angie":1vu8j31y said:

Yea, nothing like eating some of those shrimp that were half rotten to begin with, then frozen then thawed out to rot in the sun some more. After a few six-packs, ya never know the difference anyway:p

Heck after enough cold beer I've been known to dip my chips into a container of catfish charlie.

dun":3jaazh3r said:
You have to remember that angie is from MN where they go ice fishing and eat fish jello.
Ice fishing is something everyone should try at least once ~ its FUN!
And dun, for the last time, its lutefisk ~ and its good for you, and dipped in butter, with salt and pepper, its dang near good. Gotta be better than bait!

gerardplauche":2smo0ggz said:
3Fifty7 - How many traps do you normanlly run?
Normally we crawfish 300 acres and at 10 traps to the acre the normal is 3,000 traps. We fish half every other day so on 1,500 traps our daily catch is 80 to 100 sacks. During peak weekends we can press harder and get up to 150 sacks a day.

Latest posts