Any computer experts out there?

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
My system first then my problem and question.

At our business we have a small network, a server that is also a work station and two other computers as work stations. The server is a up to date system that uses windows XP, the other two systems a out of date, windows 98, 4 gig hard drive, small ram, I don't know off the top of my head the processor, but I'm sure its old.

My problem is once or twice a day my server will stop talking to the other computers and they will freeze, forcing us to reboot. I have been told this is a window XP and 98 communication problem. I have also been told that I cannot just simply install a bigger hard drive, more ram and a new processor to fix the problem, I need to buy a new computer. The computer person told me the older computers have a 16 bit system and the new ones have a 32 bit system. I have never heard of this. But my wife just built a mega computer from scratch, but had to have the tech do some of the hook up and work the bugs out of it. My thoughts are, if you can build one from scratch, why can't you rebuild an old one without replace everything?

Any help on this CATTLE board? :D

Thanks,
Alan

cowboyup216":1ou46fut said:
The reason you cannot just rebuild one with totally new parts is because the "motherboard" (circuit board) that everything sits on is only compatible with certain memory, certain processors, and certain size hard drives. They are right the others are 16 bit systems. They are also different file types. The 98 machines would be partitioned at FAT 32. Windows 95 was definitely 16 bit. XP runs on an NTFS file system rather than fat 32 therefore there are lots of incompatibility issues. Besides if you are going to run a server you want to use something other than windows xp especially if it is corporate. Server 2003 is better for that.

Thanks for the input. We actually run NT but I said XP to keep it simple, I should have stated things correctly, sorry. I didn't think of the mother board and it will probalby cost more to rebuild than to just buy a new computers.

Thanks again,
Alan

The box that I use the most started life many moons ago as an 8088 processor running DOS. That's the "box" It's had all of the guts upgraded including the power supply several times. You can uild them from scratch, but when I upgraded the other system I bought a refurbed Dell top of the line, at that time, system. It was cheaper to get the refurbed Dell then it was to buy the components to upgrade the system. The next time this one gives up the gohst it will be refurb Dell time.

I agree with Dun. Refurb Dell. I have heard all the horror stories about the build it up your self deals and how many ended up with more money in the build than a new one. Most of these folks were not computer literate but heard of all the money they can save.

I CAN build my own but buy Dell's because they come running with the OS on them.

flaboy?":2q9uj601 said:
I agree with Dun. Refurb Dell. I have heard all the horror stories about the build it up your self deals and how many ended up with more money in the build than a new one. Most of these folks were not computer literate but heard of all the money they can save.

People rarely build their own systems to save money (although with high-end systems you can save a considerable amount). People build their own to give them the ability to select their own components and to create a higher quality systems. OEM components are generally of a much lower quality than off the shelf parts.

Once you build your one once you will never by another desktop again. Its alot easier than most people think.

You can run your NT or XP on FAT 32 instead of NTSF. It will be slower but you wont have as much compatability problems.

Latest posts