Any Civil War Buffs Out There?

Help Support CattleToday:

angie1

Reaction score
I need to buy a book on the Civil War. It is a Christmas gift for BiL. Non Fiction only. Any help?

I wouldn't know where to begin. There are literally thousands of books out there on the subject. Shelby Foote's 3 volume narrative is the best thing I've ever read on The Civil War. Very long and probably more than you want to spend, though. The first volume covers Fort Sumter to Perryville. You might get that and if he likes it, he can spring for the others, or someone else could get them for his birthday or something.

A couple more of my favorites:

Gettysburg
by Stephen W. Sears

The Battle of the Wilderness
by Gordon C. Rhea

Stonewall in the Valley
by Robert G. Tanner

Civil War Command and Strategy
by Archer Jones

Partners in Command
by Joseph T. Glatthaar

I could go on and on, but I won't. ;-) There are so many books written about every angle of that war it's mind boggling. The entire war, individual battles, individual leaders, the general's point of view, the soldier's point of view, etc. Figure out what angle he might like and go from there. Good luck.

Hey thanks! Those are good book ideas. I am looking for something general, not battle specific. First group you mentioned might be the ticket....

MPR, thank you for suggestion. Feel stupid to say we do not have VCR or DVD player. Television only get 2 channels and those come in poorly. Don't watch enough to fix it.

angie":2tfl6uu7 said:
Television only get 2 channels and those come in poorly. Don't watch enough to fix it.

Even if you got a hundred there still ouldn;t be much worth watching

1848":244tq1dl said:
Try "Andersonville"
I have read about Andersonville in several different books :( .
While I think that it is profound, it is only one aspect of the was ~ am looking for something that covers Andersonville as well as important battles, impact on the country as a whole and both sides seperately, involvement of other countries and how it all plays out when all is said and done (is all said and done?). That type of thing. I guess it doesn't matter that we don't have VCR or DVD since it is not our gift, but I think a book would be best.

angie":346jvjh5 said:
1848":346jvjh5 said:
Try "Andersonville"
While I think that it is profound, it is only one aspect of the was ~ am looking for something that covers Andersonville as well as important battles, impact on the country as a whole and both sides seperately, involvement of other countries and how it all plays out when all is said and done (is all said and done?). That type of thing. I guess it doesn't matter that we don't have VCR or DVD since it is not our gift, but I think a book would be best.

Just thought your hubby might need to know war is not all about glory. ;-)

There are some great big books out there that are full of nothing but actual newspaper articles from the era.
You just need one of those lay over magnifyers to read them. :shock:

Try to stick more to a story about a given unit or action then a broad historical perspective. It will be a more interesting and first person perspective that way.

1848":1iygwi4e said:
angie":1iygwi4e said:
1848":1iygwi4e said:
Try "Andersonville"

Just thought your hubby might need to know war is not all about glory. ;-)

There are some great big books out there that are full of nothing but actual newspaper articles from the era.
You just need one of those lay over magnifyers to read them. :shock:

Try to stick more to a story about a given unit or action then a broad historical perspective. It will be a more interesting and first person perspective that way.
Is for Brother in Law.
The suggestion in bold is very good. I hadn't thought of that.

Sorry, wasn't paying attention..(BiL)

Try these.

Minnesota in the Civil War: An Illustrated History
By Kenneth Carley

"The Last Full Measure." Richard Moe, published by the Minnesota Historical Society Press, 1993. The life and death of the First Minnesota Volunteers (in the Civil War). JMA2

"Minnesota in the Civil War and Indian War 1861 - 1865." Prepared and pubished under supervision of Board Of Comissioners 1891 The Pioneer Press Co. St. Paul, MN. Narrative of regiments by officers of units and rosters of officers and soldiers w/ age, Mustered in, Mustered out and remarks. CM6

"Minnesota in the Civil War and Indian War, Vol.2, Official Reports and Correspondence." The Board of Commissioners, Pioneer Press Co, April 22, 1892. CM7

1848":3soeasyk said:
Sorry, wasn't paying attention..(BiL)

Try these.

Minnesota in the Civil War: An Illustrated History
By Kenneth Carley

"The Last Full Measure." Richard Moe, published by the Minnesota Historical Society Press, 1993. The life and death of the First Minnesota Volunteers (in the Civil War). JMA2

"Minnesota in the Civil War and Indian War 1861 - 1865." Prepared and pubished under supervision of Board Of Comissioners 1891 The Pioneer Press Co. St. Paul, MN. Narrative of regiments by officers of units and rosters of officers and soldiers w/ age, Mustered in, Mustered out and remarks. CM6

"Minnesota in the Civil War and Indian War, Vol.2, Official Reports and Correspondence." The Board of Commissioners, Pioneer Press Co, April 22, 1892. CM7
Do they sell at Barnes and Noble? I don;t have cc so can't order on line.....

MikeC":3fwcvl0q said:
"Stonewall Jackson: The Man, the Soldier, the Legend"
Excellant choice. Stonewall by James I. Robertson Jr., is am outstanding biography of an outstanding American who lived and died during that period of American history. You may also, want to look at some of Shelby Foote's books. Lee's Lieutenants by Virgil Carrington Jones is aso a good book.

What Civil War?
Do you mean the "War of Northern Agression Against the South", or perhaps the "Southern Struggle for Independence"?

HA! ;-)

We went to Andersonville Prison a couple of years ago, where they also have the international POW/MIA museum as well..............Much like our trips to Auschwitz, and a few others..........was somber and thought provoking as to how humans are so willing to be either so barbaric to one another or most likely as in the the Andersonville situation, so apathetic, that conditions would become so desperate.....Did you know that the North had a like location in the swamps outside of Chicago? :cboy:

Medic24":n5lcwdw2 said:
What Civil War?
Do you mean the "War of Northern Agression Against the South", or perhaps the "Southern Struggle for Independence"?

HA! ;-)

We went to Andersonville Prison a couple of years ago, where they also have the international POW/MIA museum as well..............Much like our trips to Auschwitz, and a few others..........was somber and thought provoking as to how humans are so willing to be either so barbaric to one another or most likely as in the the Andersonville situation, so apathetic, that conditions would become so desperate.....Did you know that the North had a like location in the swamps outside of Chicago? :cboy:

Yes

Latest posts