Any cattle/tree farmers out there?

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
I'll try and make this short. It is looking like my wife and I are about to take over a farm to run some cattle on and this farm has around 5000 nursery trees on it. They don't take up much space and are in good condition. The land owner says we can do what we want with the trees. In other words we can sell them and keep it all but I ain't no tree farmer. What little research I've done it appears that they are worth more than I thought but I'm looking for someone who might know about this tree farm stuff. I've got a list of what kinds of trees and how many there are. Any ideas or thoughts is appreciated.

Beefy":innnn13u said:
got a treespade? or are they potted?

Thats the good part I think, they are planted in nice neat rows and in good condition. They seem to be mature and like they've been there about a year and a half or so. I think there is the potential to sell these trees for some decent money but I'm not sure where to find the kind of buyer or buyers that will take them all.

What species of trees are there? I would imagine that it would be softwood, but more and more people are trying their hand at hardwoods. Red oak grows fairly fast and are user friendly - especially for the south. I do know a couple of guys that are loogers/ tree men. Apparently it's much more profitable than cattle, and a more stable industry. Around here many people "double crop" with cattle and pecan trees/orchards. I do a good bit of woodworking and regularly go back in the woods on our land to harvest trees to keep me supplied. You might have stumbled across a lucrative situation. Good luck!

Your buyer will depend on what type of lumber you have, but you can probably get a good jump by looking up local loggers. They'll be able to give you a good idea of the timber's worth.

You might want to talk to your state conservation department. In MO they will help with the marketing of timber sales

grannysoo":2w804z0i said:
What kind of trees are they?

This is the last that the land owner gave me, I think there are actually around 7000 total.

-Red Maple
-Fruiting Peach
-Dwarf Patio Peach
-Kwanzan Cherry
-Boxwood
-Red Weigalla
-Green Ash
-Weeping Willow
-Yoshino Cherry
-Tulip Poplar
-Redbud
-River Birch
-Magnolia Janes
-Magnolia Ann
-Sugar Maple
-Norway Spruce

What do you mean, "they have been there a year and a half and look mature"?
They must be like potting tree material?
If there a popular ornamental type tree. When healthy and potted sell REAL well.

I'll try and get pics, I was wrong they were planted early fall of 08. They are healthy and like you see at these large tree nurseries ready to sell.

Potting will set the trees back. Early Spring well before the trees start budding. [as soon as possible after the ground thaws] Trees should be transplanted into pots with the least amount of root damage possible.
To sell the bet looking trees and get the best price you will need to hold the potted trees over one year. Take very good care of the tree that first Summer their potted. Fertilize and water proper amounts.

The following year the trees should be lush and healthy, ready for the buyer at top prices.

contact your local tree farms or landscapers in your area and see if they are interested or know who would be. they will have the buyers and tools (treespade, lift, wrapping materials, transport) you will need. nows not the time to be planting trees anyway. a lot of those ornamentals you listed you sell well. like the riverbirch and tulip poplar and maples.

You really need a spade so you can ball and burlap them unless they are being grown in the grow bags. If you are not far from McMinnville you might talk to a BB nursery there and see if they would buy the whole lot from you this fall. Best money would be made selling them piece at a time to a landscaper like someone suggested but you need some equipment for this and it will be sporadic in sales. Good selection BTW.

Don't forget to have load after load of topsoil lined up to backfill the holes after you dig. Don't want a minefield in the pasture.

Latest posts