Any Cajuns around?-Vacation ideas in La. to Fl.

Help Support CattleToday:

jayfarmlaw

Reaction score
Me and the family are on vacation....Oklahoma to Florida with no set schedule. Today we are in Lafayette (Prejeans was AWESOME food) and will make our way to New Orleans. Then on out I-10 to the Florida Panhandle.

Any local information about great places to eat (my thing) or fun things to do (family thing). Kids are 16, 14, and 7.

Thanks in advance for the response.

Jay

That sounds like a nice vacation...no stress, not set schedule.

I always enjoyed the antibellum homes and the restaurants in the downtown sections of smaller Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, towns. Some of those places have been there forever and have had famous people eat there...lots of history in pictures on those walls.

Wish I could help ya' more...it's been a long time since I traveled thru the south like that.

Alice

If you have time to get off the interstate and travel along the Mississippi River, there are some really nice plantation homes. Oak Alley in Vacherie is probably the most famous, but there many more. In New Orleans, the Aquarium of the Americas would be a good family outing. There is also Audobon Park Zoo. The beignets (pronounced "ban yeas") at Cafe du Monde are really good. Hope ya'll have an enjoyable vacation.

If you thought Prejeans had good food, I hate to see how you would like REAL Cjaun food. Notice how everybody there had a fanny pack or camera ;-) They are sooo touristy.

If you are in Nawlins, don't skip the French Quarter. Cafe du Monde is the place to go for beignets. The World War II Museum is a very wonderful place as well.

When you get to the Panhandle, check out the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola. As far as resturants The Fish House in Downtown Pensacola on Main Street. A trip to Joe Pattis Seafood just down the street is required. (Patti's is located on Main and "A" Street). The beach is a must in Pensacola. Further down the coast in between Fort Walton Beach and Destin is the Gulfarium. The place to eat there is called either the Crab Shack or Joe's Crab Shack (It is right next door to the Gulfarium). I hope this helps.. Have fun!!

When you're traveling thru New Orleans whatever you do, don't make the wrong turn and end up in Algiers. You'll swear you just landed in the middle of the Somalian war.

MikeC,
He has teenagers for pete's sake. Besides I have killed enough brain cells there for a dozen people. But if he likes that Seville Quarter in Downtown Pensacola. :)

If you should go through Amite in Louisiana don't miss Mike's Fish Resturant...and this from a Brit. It was fantastic. The only Cajun we ate was made by a French Native NO, so we know it was made just right. (Relations we stayed with.)

Travel down the ocean side of Florida, beautiful beaches. Sebastian Inlet State Park is a great area. Before you get there stop at the New England Pub and Eatery, GREAT FOOD.

The further you get into and south in Florida the more yanks ya will run into. Don't know how far you are coming into Fla so can't help much. I don't often get over Panhandle way so don't know much about it.

While you are down on the coast though make sure you have a shimp po-boy for lunch at one of sea side shacks.

Fred Belknap":v8lkq8c1 said:
The battle ship Alabama in Mobil is a nice place to visit.
Fred

As you head east on I-10 through mobile, As soon as you go through the tunnel under the Alabama river get off on US-98. The battle ship "USS ALABAMA" is right there. They have other things too like airplanes and a sub. www.ussalabama.com
Just about a mile or two east on US-98 on your left is a good see food place I think it is called the Oyster house.
Then as soon as you cross the bay on I-10 get off on AL-225 and go north a few miles to a civil war park battle field. It to is very nice. http://new.siteone.com/sites/blakeleypark.com/

alabama":3tyqekkq said:
Fred Belknap":3tyqekkq said:
The battle ship Alabama in Mobil is a nice place to visit.
Fred

As you head east on I-10 through mobile, As soon as you go through the tunnel under the Alabama river get off on US-98. The battle ship "USS ALABAMA" is right there. They have other things too like airplanes and a sub. http://www.ussalabama.com
Just about a mile or two east on US-98 on your left is a good see food place I think it is called the Oyster house. Then as soon as you cross the bay on I-10 get off on AL-225 and go north a few miles to a civil war park battle field. It to is very nice. http://new.siteone.com/sites/blakeleypark.com/
your right good food

alabama":2ikuwoqj said:
As you head east on I-10 through mobile, As soon as you go through the tunnel under the Alabama river get off on US-98. The battle ship "USS ALABAMA" is right there. They have other things too like airplanes and a sub. http://www.ussalabama.com

I have been on that sub. I don't see how they survived on that thing.

Latest posts