Any Australian questions?

Help Support CattleToday:

Australian Cattleman":310sc5nk said:
Any questions about our beautiful country?

Colin

Been to NSW, and Australia is a very Beautful Country, good beer, nice people with great sense of humour/humor and the women are knock-outs!

Colin....how about a few pics of the country side and the operation....only have a mental picture from what I've seen and read from National geographic and TV.
Thanks...Dave Mc

Yes I have seen platypus about. They aren't as common as you would think. Though they are not classified as rare or endangered.They are fairly shy. They have a sharp poisonous spur on their back feet,so its not advisable to pick them up.
If you want to see some photos of my area,have a look at http://www.tenterfield.com.au and see what you come up with. If you have no luck just let me know. You can see some of my South Devons on our page http://www.southdevonbeefcattle.com.au,look up Chevalley South Devons.
I've been banned from getting a digital camera ? I'll probably be getting one for Christmas I'd say. I'll send lots of photos of the area and our cattle.
Colin

I find Australia and New Zealand fasinating but will probably never get a chance to visit. Some questions.

1. What part of Australia do you live in?
2. Does it snow and what is your average precipitation, also in what seasons does it rain?
3. How long has your area been settled and farmed? What are the main crops?
4. Is the government encouragiong to agriculture or do high taxes and regulations make it difficult?

To answer barons question,I believe yes they are the only poisonous mammal.
Now to answer Sugar Creeks questions.
I live about half way down the eatern side of Australia back from the coast up in what is called the Great Dividing Range. This is the spine that runs from the bottom end of Cape York Peninsula (the pointy bit at the top) right down into the middle of Victoria state. This area contains Australia's highest mountain which is a meagre 7,250 feet. I live in the northern part of New South Wales state,our altitiude ranges from 3 to 5,000 feet. Someparts of this region have 3 or 4 snowfalls a year,we usually only have sleet and cold here. It last snowed here to a depth of about 1 to 2 feet in July 1984. We have beautiful summers that get up to 36c at times but generally are around 25 to 28c.
A cold winters day will get down to a maximum of 5 or 6 c but generally they are around the 12 to 14c.
We get most of our decent rainfall from late November to into April, (late spring to late autumn) Though sometimes we can get good rain during winter which is great because it keeps the frosts away. We had 45 frosts this last winter. One bitter morning down to minus 9c.
Our average rainfall is 34 inches but that can get up to 45 inches sometimes (not recent ones though we have been as low as 16 inches in the past 4 years) We are heading for probably a 25 inch year this one. Sorry for jumping between celcius and fahrenheit, a lot of country people still use inches and celcius instead of fahrenheit.
We don't grow crops here on our place,just grass. Some locals do plant fattening crops of oats,rye grass in winter and forage sorghum in summer. This area is fairly heavily fertilised with superphosphate,we use an organic type fertilizer with excellent results,far out doing the super.
our area is fairly old as far as Australia goes established in the 1850's. Our little town is called Tenterfield which is noted for the birthplace of federation this happened in 1901,prior to this date all the states of the time governed themselves,this was the start of Australia as we know it today. (look up tenterfield.com.au and see what you get. The Tenterfield Star is our local newspaper its available on the web too.
Our government loves to look good in the eyes of the world,lots of produce is imported we have such a diverse climate that Australia would grow every crop that could be grown on earth. Presently there is a glut of oranges in the citrus growing areas thousands of tonnes of them are just being dumped. Its an absolute disgrace. Our government at present offers us the best for our country's future as the alternative is just nothing. If they were to get back into power we would once more go back into the welfare type state that we had when they governed 10 plus years ago. The labor party just loves dole bludgers and those that aren't very keen on work.
Hope I haven't waffled on too much. New Zealand fascinates me too its considerably different to us in climate,terrain,language etc.
Anymore questions just ask.
Colin

Colin, Australia has been a good ally to the U.S. during these crazy "terrorist" times. Thanks.

Wish we had more countries in the world like yours!

Colin,
Have you ben down to see the Croc Hunter? Didn't know if he was a popular in your country as he's seemingly become here or not.

Hi Colin. Love the pics in your web site. Its hard finding South Devons in Canada that look near as good as yours. I've been interested in SD since I saw them at the Calgary Exhibition and Stampede in 2000 but the ones there were dark cherry Red and not quite as thick as yours. ( but almost) It was obvious though that they were loaded with docility. I would consider doing some cross breeding of SD with my Gerts. Do you have any pictures of that cross?

Thanks for all the information. Iappreciate it and it seems you do have a lovely country and politics not so different from ours. No place else could ever be Kentucky for me though.

The South Devons do look impressive. Bet they would cross good on the Red Polls I here on Sugar Creek.

Jake I wouldn't be bothered going to see his theme park north of Brisbane. A lot of Australians would regard him as a ratbag,big mouth etc.
Sugar Creek I'm sure SDs would complement your Red Polls well. I've never seen any crossed that way.
bward, I have seen Santas crossed with SD don't have any pictures. They don't look unlike a santa,you can hardly tell that there is any SD in them apart from the extra weight and hybrid vigour that the cross would give.
I do have some darker coloured SDs but generally they are lighter coloured. It depends on what they have been graded up from. If bred up from Devon (North Devon) cattle they usually end up darker. The greater the English content they seem to be lighter coloured. Grove Brutus blood cattle are lighter and Hannibal lines are darker. I've been using a lighter coloured polled sire with half New Zealand bloodlines.
Colin

I wouldn't mind seein the park but I'd regard him as the same loud mouth. But that's part of the character I guess.

You know of any SD breeders around the USA? I've been contacted a few times with people wanting them and all I can tell them is I know of some in Australia.

Latest posts