Any Advice

Help Support CattleToday:

Beeglebatty

Reaction score
I have a gelding that last spring had what looked like 2 small rope burn on both his front feet just above his hooves at the joint. They seemed to get worse as time went on. I began treating them with a fungus spray...wound spray..furecin (sp) and began wrapping them to keep the flies away. The horse would bite the wrap and eventually pull it off. He kept knawing at the wounds making them bleed almost daily. I thought that when fall came and the flies went away he would leave them alone and they would heal. Well now it's winter and he still continues to chew at the wounds.....Any adivce.

Thanks!!!

Beeglebatty

What you are describing is not normal. I would get a vet to examine the sores. He could have summer sores which are itchy and uncomfortable which could be causing him to chew at them.

Six months is too long. Get him checked. Good luck.

i agree with chippie about contacting your vet. we had a similar problem with our clydesdale. we kept the area shaved (gets air to the sores), gave him antibiotics, and applied a soothing cream. he is doing better now but we still have to shave his legs. those long feathers just support whatever it is that he had.

Latest posts