Any advice

Help Support CattleToday:

25 ac. pasture is a lot if you manage it rite. Up her I run 12hd of angus cow/calf all 3-1/2 months by rotating with 3/8"dia x48"ln fibre rods and one strand 6ply polytwine hooked to 6jle. fence charger. I do spred 250lb of high analysis fert. per ac. twice a season, first onMay 10 2nd mid Aug. Go for any beef breed bottle babies as they are easy to train from the beginning. For meat and success get yearlings and rotate on your grass to keep it nutritious. Keep some grain around so you can handle them as they get used to you. good luck

25 ac. pasture is a lot if you manage it rite. Up her I run 12hd of angus cow/calf all 3-1/2 months by rotating with 3/8"dia x48"ln fibre rods and one strand 6ply polytwine hooked to 6jle. fence charger. I do spred 250lb of high analysis fert. per ac. twice a season, first onMay 10 2nd mid Aug. Go for any beef breed bottle babies as they are easy to train from the beginning. For meat and success get yearlings and rotate on your grass to keep it nutritious. Keep some grain around so you can handle them as they get used to you. good luck

Hey Rancher, quick question for you. I too run a very intensive rotational graze like you described. I only fertilize once in the spring though. I've thought many times about doing it twice, but have been concerned about knocking down a lot of grass that is for grazing later in the rotation. Does fertilizing twice work well for you and am I just overly concerned? Grass is so precious on small acreages. Thanks in advance.

We have lotsa sunshine up here, light all the time from May til mid August, so grass really grows fast. Trick is to force the cattle onto the grass by dividing pasture into say 5ac plots. Let the cattle graze it down real short then move to next plot. I then drag the field with my 12ft harrow w/drag chains behind my atv. If the grass gets ahead of you (it does sometimes up here) I set my mower high and mow the top so grass don't seed out. It sounds labor heavy but not really if u plan rite <grin> Most of the time the fence isn't even "HOT" as the moose walk thru and break it prolly once a week.

So I need 3 more feeder steers and really don't see them on facebook or Craigslist.

I started watching online cattle auctions that are in my town. Has anyone ever done this? I'm thinking I can do some shopping on breaks at work. They go so fast im not sure my phone even keeps up :(

Ps my new cattle tags. Lol I think its funny

Attachments

• 20210324_191506.jpg
    20210324_191506.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
So I need some help again. Im buying some steers for next year and she just said going rate. So I looked that up and its anywhere from 120 -175 Cwt. She said between 600-700 lbs. Whats a fair price for them? Should I actually take the time to weight them? Thanks
FB_IMG_1619217474136.jpgFB_IMG_1619217466239.jpgFB_IMG_1619217457447.jpg

I would weigh the cattle. It's the only way to know for sure. Any place with a scale can give you a weight... farmers' coop, truck stop, etc. You weigh unloaded and weigh again loaded. I think a scale slip would provide peace of mind for all parties. And no one would feel like they were ripped off.

If I sell fully weaned/vaccinated calves private treaty, the price is based on the prior 2 weeks sale at our local sale barn. Take the top $$ for (example) 7 wts & divide by 2. Because I don't have to sell them p.t. & they don't have to accept my price. Have your seller define "going rate" and check the surrounding/local markets.

So I need some help again. Im buying some steers for next year and she just said going rate. So I looked that up and its anywhere from 120 -175 Cwt. She said between 600-700 lbs. Whats a fair price for them? Should I actually take the time to weight them? Thanks
View attachment 4021View attachment 4022View attachment 4023
$1,000 head dewormed and delivered
I can buy that type on any given day for $925 but I hear they're higher in Montana.
Hold the red one... I don't like the way the shxt sticks to his tail.

Yes, I believe in getting weights.
But your whole herd is 3 animals :) it's your hobby, you're a working man and busy with family to boot, a $75 mistake on total weight won't break ya.
Not getting their weights isn't a deal breaker.

Last edited:
So that cattle buying experience went horribly wrong. "Couldn't get brand inspections" no way those were the same animals as in the pictures. I really learned my lessons.

So round 2 I ended up with 3 wagyu/black Angus mix steers. They were health checked by the vet, everything in order ;)

Anyone have any experience with f1 wagyu mixes? From my reading they take longer to finish. Chatting with the guy I bought them from he said they are "sheepish" in how they act. And don't have the appetite a black Angus will have.

I get the feeling this is a fool and his money are easily parted, but I will fall for the gimmick once anyway :)

I'm in the begining of setting up to get a couple bottle calves this spring. Loafing shed is up 14x12. Corral going in this weekend. 30x30. My place is almost fenced 4 wire. On 28 acres. Prob 25 is pasture. It's in the hills with lots of burned down trees from a fire awhile back that I'm slowly cleaning up.

I have zero clue if I'm doing anything right or wrong so looking for any helpful tips or mistakes I am making.

Thanks
If you have 28 acres I would consider buying some feeders and fattening them up.on your pasture. Why did you decide on bottle calves? They are lots of work and you potentially may encounter issues you would not encounter with calves that are weaned. Long time cattle woman here and I will help ya out all I can.

$1,000 head dewormed and delivered
I can buy that type on any given day for $925 but I hear they're higher in Montana.
Hold the red one... I don't like the way the shxt sticks to his tail.

Yes, I believe in getting weights.
But your whole herd is 3 animals :) it's your hobby, you're a working man and busy with family to boot, a $75 mistake on total weight won't break ya.
Not getting their weights isn't a deal breaker.
Great advice!

I in no way expect to make any money. I'm already way in the negative with this project. I got a loafing shed built a corral and a head catch that a farmer friend donated to my crazieness and almost have my place fenced. been about -10k so far :(. I'm completely doing this for the fun of it. It will never be more then a few cows to butcher to feed my family and anyone who is hungry:)

I have tried to plan this out but I'm still very confused on a few areas. The timeline of getting calves and when to butcher so I can do it every fall.

I think i could run 2-4 on my place (28 acres). I'm not 100% sure so I would want to start less and not over graze my place. I have emailed the extension office to try and get more info but I guess they are too busy.

Different thoughts- buy 2 bottle calves every year. (first year buy a feeder also so I have something for the freezer this fall)

- buy 2 feeders every year and butcher in the fall. ( no winter feeding but feeders and way more expensive then bottle calves) + not getting to enjoy calves and make them your friend lol

This is kinda assuming it will take 18 months to get them 1200lbs...(thinking herfords if I can find some)

Or some variation of all this.

I also have to many questions on finishing them. But maybe another thread later :)

I just wanted to throw out I do have some cattle experience. Always been the hired man when I was young and still have friends and family who have farms and ranches. Moved away and was very blessed in life so now I can get back to what I enjoy. I can text and call any of them with immediate questions. But i know way less then i want them to know i know lol. So here i am :)
Where are you located? I would love to help ya out with some guidance: it's just what I do. Raised 3 kids and now teaching grandkids the cattle business by being humane and honest (and tough).

Latest posts