ants and electricity

Help Support CattleToday:

denoginnizer

Reaction score
Anyone have problems with ants getting into electrical equipment? They seem to have a thing for my well pumps.

What is the best poision for killing sugar ants?

The ants get into the electrical equipment because of the warmth the electrical equipment puts out. They play havoc on central a/c units particularly. Many times they will get so many in there it will cause a bridge and short the equipment out.

The best thing to use outdoors in a spot type treatment would be Othene (acephate). Indoors you would want to use some of the little stick up bait stations, preferably with fiprinil (sp.) as the active ingredient.

There's definitely something about electrical fields that ants like. They have been the demise of contact points in many a relay. If it's somewhere that you don't care about the grass or landscaping it might not hurt to soak the ground with fuel or dirty oil. By accident of course (for the tree huggers).

In the shop I used to have to replace the light switch a couple of times a year because the little buggers got inside and screwed up the switch. A couple of years ago I put up one of those exterior totally sealed switches and haven;t had a problem since. Still a lot of ants, never have been able to get a handle on that, but at least they stay out of the switch

dun

denoginnizer":2qu4vxs4 said:
Anyone have problems with ants getting into electrical equipment? They seem to have a thing for my well pumps.

The best poison for Sugar Ants is a product called "Terro"

We don't have sugar ant problems but fire ant problems around here. They get in the pressure switch at the well and cause it to kick off. I use a 90% seven dust that I get from the local coop. I sprinkle it around the well and all the electrical parts of the pump several times a year. It works well. I also sprinkle some in the breaker boxes at the pump, in the barn and at the house. The only thing is you have to retreat after a rain which I haven't had to do in quite a while.

Crowderfarms":3c5suq68 said:
denoginnizer":3c5suq68 said:

The best poison for Sugar Ants is a product called "Terro"

Crowder is right that stuff is great. You can get it at most drug stores and the dreaded Wally World.

We have fire ants real bad here. They get into everything elect. A few years ago an old cowboy had an ear tag on his boots. I smarted off and ask if it was for right and left. H e laughtand said it was a fly tag he used to keepthe fire ants off him. He said he used them in his air compressor sw. and it stopped them. iIstarted putting them in breaker boxes, telephone boxes, and air compressor sw. we have not had any more problems. Hope this helps.

I seem to have this problem every year,well pump and a/c.I now make it a habit to check and spray. The neighbors down the road have a sign by their front gate. Caution enter at your own risk this place is protected by fire ants. around here you learn real fast to watch where you step and for sure dont stand in one place after dark.

Cal

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":3lggtek6 said:
Saw some product on rfd that is supposed to eliminate fire ants. I need to use some of it on my pastures this summer. The thing of it is I cant recall the name of it:(
Hey Maw! Since when were there any Fire Ants over that way??We dont have em' here yet...

Crowderfarms":1tnxtbzr said:
TurnThatCowLooseMaw":1tnxtbzr said:
Saw some product on rfd that is supposed to eliminate fire ants. I need to use some of it on my pastures this summer. The thing of it is I cant recall the name of it:(
Hey Maw! Since when were there any Fire Ants over that way??We dont have em' here yet...
You're kiddin'! I thought every Southern state had 'em. I heard that even Virginia has 'em now. Brought in on a truckload of sod.

J. T.":1ojt815k said:
Crowderfarms":1ojt815k said:
TurnThatCowLooseMaw":1ojt815k said:
You're kiddin'! I thought every Southern state had 'em. I heard that even Virginia has 'em now. Brought in on a truckload of sod.
We dont have em' here at least not yet.

These South American fire ants are a thousand times worse than anything we've had before. Try rubbing a thick coating of grease around the wires leading into your equipment. They don't seem to cross even a small ring of gease.

I grew up with fire ants in Alabama. Never known life without them. They'll cover you up before you know it. They've wiped out native ants in a lot of places and they're death on six legs to baby quail, turkeys, and even calves that have the misfortune of being calved on top of a mound. I heard of a poor lady in a nursing home that was killed by them. I have to keep Sevin dust out to keep them out of my dog pens, especially when I have small pups. The only redeeming quaility that I know of is that they prey on ticks.

MAW,that stuff on rfd was extinguish and extinguish plus, was thinkin of tryin it myself. If ya get on thier website they list thier dealers. jp