Antifreeze leak on 8n

Help Support CattleToday:

pricefarm

Reaction score
I inherited a 8n ford a few years ago. Last summer I got it out of the barn and got it running and replaced the starter and rebuilt the carb. It ran fine with no problems till fall when I was using it to run the corn elevator and it started leaking antifreeze around the back side of the starter. Any ideas where it is coming from ?

I think there is a freeze plug in that area and it has probably just became rusty and leaking. You may have to pull the starter to get to it but it is an easy fix. Just pull the old plug out and pop a new one in.

kenny thomas":10lu7fn8 said:
I think there is a freeze plug in that area and it has probably just became rusty and leaking. You may have to pull the starter to get to it but it is an easy fix. Just pull the old plug out and pop a new one in.

Like KT said IIRc there is a freeze plug there and that area is prone to have buildup of debris and dust which makes the thin sheet metal the plug is made of rust

kenny thomas":247yjev4 said:

I will have to take another look for that. I looked there and didn't see one there.

With the 8n using only straight 30 wt oil(or 10W in winter if you change over),it might be a good idea to put a block heater in when you change out that freeze plug.It can't hurt to plug it in an hour before you start it up.
Is yous a std 4 speed or does it have a Sherman Auillary transmission.(lever on the side)? Dad had a 1952 I learned to drive on with this set up. Raked hay at age seven !Wish I still had it for the grandsons.

JW IN VA":1actvl90 said:
With the 8n using only straight 30 wt oil(or 10W in winter if you change over),it might be a good idea to put a block heater in when you change out that freeze plug.It can't hurt to plug it in an hour before you start it up.
Is yous a std 4 speed or does it have a Sherman Auillary transmission.(lever on the side)? Dad had a 1952 I learned to drive on with this set up. Raked hay at age seven !Wish I still had it for the grandsons.

Mine is the standard 4 speed. I really don't use the tractor much but it was my wife's dads tractor and it belonged to his dad so it's just been past down. I start it about once a month and ride it around some.

What kind of hydraulic oil does these tractors take? And how much? I drained about 5 gal from it but it looks like it had a lot of water in it

pricefarm":2ztlpg41 said:
What kind of hydraulic oil does these tractors take? And how much? I drained about 5 gal from it but it looks like it had a lot of water in it
Are u sure it's hydronic oil? What part did u Drain? The rear end and transmission are separate on an 8N I think. Let me look it up. The online manual shows 80w90 as best and universal hydraulic the worst. Still not sure if the rear end is separate, pretty sure it is, but it shows holding 5 gal.

kenny thomas":36ikkgcr said:
pricefarm":36ikkgcr said:
Are u sure it's hydronic oil? What part did u Drain? The rear end and transmission are separate on an 8N I think. Let me look it up. The online manual shows 80w90 as best and universal hydraulic the worst. Still not sure if the rear end is separate, pretty sure it is, but it shows holding 5 gal.

I think there all together. It had 3 drain plugs underneath and one full hole on top near the gear shifter. There's only one dipstick to check it on the right side of the tractor.

pricefarm":1foso05f said:
kenny thomas":1foso05f said:
pricefarm":1foso05f said:

I think there all together. It had 3 drain plugs underneath and one full hole on top near the gear shifter. There's only one dipstick to check it on the right side of the tractor.
utf is not standard hyd oil

pricefarm":1oge2fyc said:
M-5":1oge2fyc said:
Should be utf (universal tractor fluid) or SAE 90 iirc

I read some where not to use universal fluid??? Not sure

Do not use universal hyd fluid. Utf is how it's labeled in some parts houses. It's also gl -1 at tractor supply . what is recommend in these old tractors or sae 90 mineral oil.

Latest posts