Antibiotics for bred heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

dfwflyr

Reaction score
Please forgive me if this has been asked. I searched the forum and other sites looking for an answer with no luck. On Monday I picked up two 850lb cows from auction. They looked healthy and filled out and they were advertised as being bred 5-7 months ago. I cant confirm they are pregnant but I am treating them like they are.

Normally I would have given them a dose of LA-200 as soon as coming to the ranch just to prevent shipping fever. We lost a calf earlier this winter to BRD and I want to keep these ladies in good health. this morning I notied a little bit of white snot in the nose so i am debating if i should go ahead and shoot them up with La-200. While I see no restrictions on pregnant cattle, I cannot find anything supporting its use and i would rather be safe than sorry. Has anyone used it on their bred cattle? Does anyone have any advise for determining if these two cows are really pregnant besides calling out a vet or waiting 3 weeks to see if they go in heat? I appreciate the advise.

I don't know of any contraindication for using LA200 on bred cows... whether it's the best course of action that's another question... Did they have to travel a long ways?

As for preg checks, around here, any cow sold at the sale barn has been preg checked by the vet, you can't call them bred if they aren't.. I'd think that would be common practice.

I have bought hundreds of bred cows from the sale. They get LA-200 as part of my regular program. I never had any negative affects from the LA. In fact here any cows which are not Bangs vaccinated get an adult Bangs vaccination. I know people who have had adult Bangs shot cause abortions. I found that a big blast of LA-200 counter acted the adult bangs.

Nesikep":1osfdjzi said:
I don't know of any contraindication for using LA200 on bred cows... whether it's the best course of action that's another question... Did they have to travel a long ways?

As for preg checks, around here, any cow sold at the sale barn has been preg checked by the vet, you can't call them bred if they aren't.. I'd think that would be common practice.

I should say that I am just as interested in the best course of action. Naturally you want to do what is best for the animals and have a healthy, good looking herd. I am in North Central Texas and I am not sure about the requirements for sale barns and how they advertise. I havent run these two through the squeeze yet as I haven't wanted to stress them, bu they do have metal ear tags in the left ear I need to check. I transported them about an hour to my ranch. coming from a sale barn I just want to keep the cows immune system up, especially if they are bred.

Nesikep":2j6yac0t said:
As for preg checks, around here, any cow sold at the sale barn has been preg checked by the vet,
you can't call them bred if they aren't.. I'd think that would be common practice.
+1
Same here, I assume all sale barns operate that way if otherwise will announce how pregnancy status was determined.
As for antibiotics I'd take temps before giving any shots and go from there.

LA-200 can cause abortion, but it's not particularly common. I use it on pregnant cows if I have too. Try to stick to just straight Pen G.

dfwflyr":3vtgzhhi said:
Nesikep":3vtgzhhi said:

I should say that I am just as interested in the best course of action. Naturally you want to do what is best for the animals and have a healthy, good looking herd. I am in North Central Texas and I am not sure about the requirements for sale barns and how they advertise. I havent run these two through the squeeze yet as I haven't wanted to stress them, bu they do have metal ear tags in the left ear I need to check. I transported them about an hour to my ranch. coming from a sale barn I just want to keep the cows immune system up, especially if they are bred.
A call to the sale barn asking them if cows sold as bred have been preg checked should clear that up :)

Oh, and welcome to CT :)

dfwflyr":24bohgke said:
Nesikep":24bohgke said:

if they had a paint number on their hip and a small metal tag in their ear. they went through the vets chute and where preg checked. but to ease your mind,,,,call the barn

So both cows did have the metal ear tag and a painted number. with the size of one of them I feel confident that they are closed. I went ahead and was able to get 22ml of LA-200 in one, which is a low dose for her weight as well as ivomec injectible. The second girl charged and broke the panel before i could get her into the squeeze. Looks like these cows havent been worked much before. Guess i need to rebuild my pens and working area and reconsider. If she starts looking bad ill suck it up and get that last one in the chute. Thank you everyone for the advise.

Latest posts