Antibiotic Dart Rifles?

Help Support CattleToday:

ENNOT

Reaction score
Has anyone used the dart rifles to doctor for whatever, ie pinkeye, footrot, etc.? I am curious to find out what guns are the best and how they actually work.

I got a bull with pinkeye that I have treated once in the chute, but he got wise to what the corral is and I spent a good hour making him mad enough that he holed up on me and wanted to fight. So.....my friend has one of these dart guns and we are going out tonight to see if we can get him shot.

Let me know what your experiences have been and which ones are the best because if they work like I've heard, I may buy one.

Thanks

My only experience was with one of the medi-darts. And only ONCE. It was quite a fiasco, and in the end the bull we did it to was never quiet again. I won't do that again, would rather fight with them getting them into the chute, at least you can still get near them out on the pasture.

I have one and find it to be very useful.

The biggest complaints I have is that the 10cc max dart limits you to what kind of meds you can use. Most things I would like to use can only be applied Sub-q and the dart gun will only do IM. I always adminster the shot in the neck following beef quality guidelines.

Some cattle cubes/sweet feed and some patience will go along ways towards getting a animal in the catch pen.

Feed/ Bait doesn't really help when other cattle are getting pinkeye and your trying to do a thousand other things besides doctor cattle. But I appreciate your advice degonnizer(sorry that I screwed up the spelling).

I am totally for low-stress management, but sometimes patience runs out!!! We got the bull and a couple others in tonight without using the dart gun. Me and a buddy rode out with our dogs and got them in.

Bull with pinkeye = $$
Cows with pinkeye = $$
2 friends, two horses, 5 dogs = priceless

For everything else, theres Mastercard.

Seriously, I would like to hear from anybdy else that has dealt with the dart guns. I really think that in some situations they could be very handy.

We trank wild calves with a dart gun-- it works real well.
I don't think I would ever use it to medicate --

I use the Cap-Chur gun and Pneu-dart disposable darts for calves and cows when i use micatil for cows or calves or baytril for small calves. I use the darts when I tranquilize a cow to work on her pinkeye or foot problems. Using the gun to treat respiratory problems saves the excitement of getting an animal into a pen. Many times the cattle are in a place where it isnt possible to get them up to doctor them. The simple way to do it is to drive the pickup or 4 wheeler up within 30 yards of the animal and shoot it from the seat. They are used to the pickup and 4 wheeler and they dont associate the dart with the truck. If you walk up to them and shoot them, they will be wary of you in the future. The gun and darts have saved the lives of countless animals over the years and my father, who is limited in his mobility can doctor anything with the dart gun, whereas he would be unable to doctor anything without it. It takes about half the price of a yearling calf to pay for the gun, lose one calf and you could have bought 2 guns with what you lost.

Like Howdy and Stocky already pointed out I would think using the gun to tranquilize your bull would allow you easy access to administer shots and medication the normal way.

Wouldn't need to use the gun for medication......just to get the bull into a more "agreeable" frame of mind :lol:

Saltydawg":1igxgmyg said:
Like Howdy and Stocky already pointed out I would think using the gun to tranquilize your bull would allow you easy access to administer shots and medication the normal way.

Wouldn't need to use the gun for medication......just to get the bull into a more "agreeable" frame of mind :lol:

That is not the understanding I got from Stocky's post, but I could be wrong. On the same subject, though, why would I want to simply tranquilize my bull to treat him when I could medicate him with the dart gun and have it over with? I don't understand the purpose of the extra steps and time. :help:

msscamp":28a03oxu said:
Saltydawg":28a03oxu said:

That is not the understanding I got from Stocky's post, but I could be wrong. On the same subject, though, why would I want to simply tranquilize my bull to treat him when I could medicate him with the dart gun and have it over with? I don't understand the purpose of the extra steps and time. :help:

First let me say I have no actual experience with the guns, I am just doing some "thinking". Maybe learn something in the process.

It seems the guns can only give IM type injections and only in small doses.
This might work fine for some things but some medications are administered other ways.
If the dart gun can only hold 10cc or so of medication then you might have to shoot the animal multiple times to get a strong enough dose.

If you use the gun to tranquilize the animal then you can wait a bit for it to take effect and then go out and do whatever you need to with him.
Fix up a foot, give a SQ injection, rinse out an eye and apply some topical medication.
You can basically do all medical procedures this way and prevent the excitement and fighting with an unruly animal.

It just seems easier to me to tranquilize the animal and then do the medical stuff the normal way.

Good point, Salty. I have no experience with them, either, and I didn't think of that aspect. :oops: Thanks for the clarification. :)

Caution should be used when tranquilizing an animal because there are some safety risk associated with it. Sometimes the animals do not survive the procedure.

I just bought a medi dart cross bow. There is some technique required but they do work. The range is limited with a full 30 cc load LA-200 and our pasture is too rough to usually drive up to animals, so what works best for me is to corral them and shoot off a feed bunk.

3MR":36jq0xi3 said:
what about scaring on the carcass. Is this, or can it be a problem?

As long as you keep the dart in the magic triangle on the neck there shouldn;t be a problem. But what I see is people using the expeditious method of shooting them in the butt.
When I took my BQA class the showed a picture of a round that had a black nasty spot in it with the needle broken off inside. I'm not saying that it was from one of the long range application methods, but seeing that really brought home the importance of only given shots in the neck.

dun

dun":2melh6pf said:
3MR":2melh6pf said:
what about scaring on the carcass. Is this, or can it be a problem?

As long as you keep the dart in the magic triangle on the neck there shouldn;t be a problem. But what I see is people using the expeditious method of shooting them in the butt.
When I took my BQA class the showed a picture of a round that had a black nasty spot in it with the needle broken off inside. I'm not saying that it was from one of the long range application methods, but seeing that really brought home the importance of only given shots in the neck.

dun

Thats exactly what I was thinking about as well. I saw the same thing at the BQA Conference in Oklahoma last year.

Guess I wasn't clear-- I don't trank to medicate- I think that would be too risky.
I trank to drop a nut case-usually jumped out of pasture and roaming free and impossible to manage or very occasionally I will turn one out that I didn't identify as a killer at processing.
I trank--- so I can drag it into a trailer and get rid of it or pen it up tight :)

When I use the dart gun, I use the medication in the dart when I am using Micatil for any animal or the Baytril for small animals. On cows, I have to use 2 darts because of the 10cc limit of medicine. I only tranquilize the animal if I have to. There is a risk any time you put one to sleep. I am told by my vet that if the temperature is over 80 degrees, there is a possible problem because when they are asleep, their body cooling process shuts down and they can have heat stroke and die. I probably tranquilize 5-10 cows each winter and probably 10-15 yearling calves each year. I do all this in the cool weather. If I need to tranquilize in the heat, I have used half-dose to partially tranquilize and then do the work with help of a rope and a tree. The reason for the yearling calves I have tranquilized is to castrate them in a field with no way to get them up into a corral. You put them to sleep, walk up and use the knife and they wake up and are just fine with almost no blood. For me, medicines like LA200 are too thick for the dart, especially in the cool weather, and you have to use too much medicine. In cold weather, you need to warm up the dart with the medicine in it enough to make the medicine inject into the animal. In the dart, there is a blasting cap that goes off on impact and shoots the medicine into the animal. Out of hundreds of shots, I have yet to find a dart that still had medicine left in it after the shot. I use 1/2 inch and 3/4 inche large gauge needles, with a gel barb on the needle that makes the needle stick until the gel warms and disolves, and I shoot the animals in the neck in the loose skin area. I believe this achieves the the result of subcutaneous injection. Reusable darts hold up to 15cc's but it takes alot of cleaning and you cant have them riding in the truck without alot of care and it takes alot of time and effort to put them together and retrieve them if you are shooting more than one dart. Disposable ones can be loaded in a few seconds and you can shoot as many as you need while you are waiting for darts to fall out. reusable darts cost 12-15 dollars plus the parts and disposable ones cost 2.50-3.50 depending on the size. They come in various sizes from 3-10 cc's

Stocky, thanks for all of your advice on the dart guns. I think I will check into them a little bit for trying to get animals doctored a little easier. They seem a little more convenient than trying to cowboy them into the corral or even just roping and dropping smaller animals, everytime you need to doctor. Time is money and the longer it takes, and the more excited you get them wastes both time and money.

I appreciate everyone else's thoughts on this topic.

Latest posts