Anthrax Scare

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
Hubby called me awhile ago. I had driven past the cousins place this morning and saw nothing different. Drove by tonight and the vet's rig is there and a front end loader. Hubby said the cousin told him he lost 3 head to anthrax at his place. It is 9 miles from us.

Grabbed the vaccine list and found we have never vaccinated for anthrax.

Should we do it now? Or wait to hear from the vet to make sure?

Vaccinate today! It will take 10-14 days to get immunity, but if antrax is confirmed you'll be a few days ahead. I thought Anthrax vaccination is compulsory worldwide?

Anthrax is considered only a 'sporadic' risk in the USA & Canada. I see reports of occasional isolated outbreaks, most years, mostly in TX and SD/ND; probably other western states, but those stick out in my recollection. I doubt that many folks vaccinate their livestock against it in the USA.

Of course, they taught us about it in veterinary school, but I don't have enough knowledge about it, from lack of experience with it, to make any recommendations to IlH about whether they need to vaccinate - probably need to ask that Q of your local veterinarian &/or the state vet's office.

Lucky talked to the vet yesterday and he recommended that we wait until the pathology reports are back then decide.

Given the magnitude of the possible losses weighed up against the very cheap cost of the vaccine, especially since you're working cattle anyway tomorrow, I'd still go with vaccinate now and wonder later.

FWIW, I've never seen an anthrax outbreak myself, but have seen Clostridium Septicum and it's not a pretty sight.

Anthrax test came back negative. So that is a bit of a relief just waiting for the rest of the tests to find out what killed his cattle.

Latest posts