Anthrax in herd in SD

Help Support CattleToday:

The South Dakota Animal Industry Board says anthrax spores survive indefinitely in contaminated soil. The board says strict enforcement of quarantines and proper burning and burying of carcasses suspected to have died from anthrax is important to prevent further soil contamination from bacterial spores.

I've read information about anthrax. I'm curious what happened to revive it on this farm?

kickinbull":3iqb3tqo said:
I've read information about anthrax. I'm curious what happened to revive it on this farm?

One can only speculate. The reports don't suggest why it suddenly infected these cows. Perhaps the owner worked the soil that exposed the spores then the cows went in and got infected.

Hard to say, and I haven't read the article nor do I know the timeline. S.Dakota and that region recently got some uncharacteristically heavy rains in May and again last week.

Remote pastures that do not get checked often can get out of control.
Was out shooting dogs in SD and came up to a big berm in a pasture.
They had used a dozer to help dispose of all the anthrax victims...
They bring in a state vet and make quite of deal out of an outbreak.
Are wild animals a reservoir?

SS - Shooting dogs??
Anyway, I googled this and found that all of SD is potential for Anthrax. They just posted a 2nd case in SD.
The two articles I read said "Significant climate changes such as drought, floods and wind can expose anthrax spores to grazing livestock".

Jeanne - Simme Valley":237wthpi said:
SS - Shooting dogs??
Anyway, I googled this and found that all of SD is potential for Anthrax. They just posted a 2nd case in SD.
The two articles I read said "Significant climate changes such as drought, floods and wind can expose anthrax spores to grazing livestock".

Prairie Dogs. Not canine dogs.

The ideal conditions for anthrax spore activation are periods of high heat that follow a heavy washing rain.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":a6qf0b90 said:
SS - Shooting dogs??

Suspected Anthrax cases shouldn't be post mortem'd. Sudden death with dark tarry blood from anus is very suspicious and a faecal smear stained is easy accurate diagnosis of the disease from what I can remember but Luckyp may comment and give his opinion. The carcase is best left whole and disposed on the spot by burning and burying anything left rather than open it and spread it around.

Ken

Bright Raven":29ezhv3i said:
kickinbull":29ezhv3i said:

One can only speculate. The reports don't suggest why it suddenly infected these cows. Perhaps the owner worked the soil that exposed the spores then the cows went in and got infected.

Had this same thing happen locally a couple of months ago. Only it was blackleg, not anthrax. Vet said it too could live indefinitely in the soil.

JMJ Farms":v3k1ca7e said:
Bright Raven":v3k1ca7e said:
kickinbull":v3k1ca7e said:

Had this same thing happen locally a couple of months ago. Only it was blackleg, not anthrax. Vet said it too could live indefinitely in the soil.

Mike - blackleg is of the genus Clostridium. They are also spore forming bacteria like anthrax. Very hardy organisms. Your vet is correct.

Bright Raven":a4lczn8s said:
JMJ Farms":a4lczn8s said:
Bright Raven":a4lczn8s said:

Mike - blackleg is of the genus Clostridium. They are also sore forming bacteria like anthrax. Very hardy organisms. Your vet is correct.

It was eye opening for a bunch of us local village idiots that thought blackleg was no longer a threat. We got complacent in the fact that we hadn't seen any locally in many many years. I WILL be vaccinating for it from now on. It's a no brainer. Only cost around a $1 a dose.

JMJ Farms":6iuxa0s1 said:
Bright Raven":6iuxa0s1 said:
JMJ Farms":6iuxa0s1 said:

Mike - blackleg is of the genus Clostridium. They are also sore forming bacteria like anthrax. Very hardy organisms. Your vet is correct.

It was eye opening for a bunch of us local village idiots that thought blackleg was no longer a threat. We got complacent in the fact that we hadn't seen any locally in many many years. I WILL be vaccinating for it from now on. It's a no brainer. Only cost around a $1 a dose.

Should be spore not sore. Lol. Yes. The Clostridial 7 way , 8 way. However many ways means that the vaccine covers 7 species or 8 species, all of the genus Clostridium. They are everywhere in the environment, world wide. My dad basically died from Clostridium difficile. He was on antibiotics for a prostate infection. The antibiotics depressed his intestinal flora and the difficile took over. He was 92 and essentially starved to death.

Bright Raven":li1a6quw said:
JMJ Farms":li1a6quw said:
Bright Raven":li1a6quw said:

Should be spore not sore. Lol. Yes. The Clostridial 7 way , 8 way. However many ways means that the vaccine covers 7 species or 8 species, all of the genus Clostridium. They are everywhere in the environment, world wide. My dad basically died from Clostridium difficile. He was on antibiotics for a prostate infection. The antibiotics depressed his intestinal flora and the difficile took over. He was 92 and essentially starved to death.

That's awful. 92 years was a good run but you're never ready for it to be over. At least I wouldn't think so. But that's a bad way to go IMO.

JMJ Farms":30niwhrv said:
Bright Raven":30niwhrv said:
JMJ Farms":30niwhrv said:

That's awful. 92 years was a good run but you're never ready for it to be over. At least I wouldn't think so. But that's a bad way to go IMO.

It was awful. Hard to watch. They isolated him in the nursing home to avoid exposure. He couldn't eat. His heart was strong. It just didn't want to stop. Hope I never see that again.