Antelope hunting

Help Support CattleToday:

grubbie

Reaction score
Any of you folks want to go antelope hunting???? We are lousy with the *^$#@$&^( things,...eatin up all the grass. Just keep it in mind for next fall if you are interested. Only had two hunters this year.

grubbie":583mb0nf said:
Any of you folks want to go antelope hunting???? We are lousy with the *^$#@$&^( things,...eatin up all the grass. Just keep it in mind for next fall if you are interested. Only had two hunters this year.

When is Antelope season up there, where are you located, and last but not least are you including Greenies in this offer?

Out there in that desert county East of Lander where I hunt Muleys. There are large herds of Antelope. A Nonresidents chances of drawing a tag is right at 10%. So even if you have a place to hunt, may not get many NR's hunters. % varies from region to region.

Game & Fish tell me Antelope don't eat grass, so I guess they are only smelling the pasture :roll:

They are eating our winter wheat right now. trying to get a damage hunt going, but the *@#% in charge is dragging his feet again.
We had just deer hunters this year. The only antelope hunters we have had in years were last year and were trespassing. Told them to ask next time.
Husband went out and they have really gotten to 20 acres and wheat is at over $8.00 a bushel. :mad:
Counted 91 on Sunday and our cousin counted 114 on his place.
So mnmtranching when can we expect you?

3waycross":1dnjewi8 said:
grubbie":1dnjewi8 said:

When is Antelope season up there, where are you located, and last but not least are you including Greenies in this offer?

.......I'd rather have Antelope all over the place than HOGS> :)

I luv herfrds":372y6bvq said:
They are eating our winter wheat right now. trying to get a damage hunt going, but the *@#% in charge is dragging his feet again.
We had just deer hunters this year. The only antelope hunters we have had in years were last year and were trespassing. Told them to ask next time.
Husband went out and they have really gotten to 20 acres and wheat is at over $8.00 a bushel. :mad:
Counted 91 on Sunday and our cousin counted 114 on his place.
So mnmtranching when can we expect you?

I luv herfs, It is a battle, I'm not saying it's good or bad. There are Soooomany hunters from the Midwest who would love to hunt Lopes out there. And Montana's Fish, Wildlife and Parks would also like to have more hunters control populations$$$$$$$.
But politics control. You know by MT state law, no more then 10% of all big game licenses sold can go to non residents? And Montana hunter # are dropping, so, hope for hard Winters to control game.

ROCKSPRINGS":2k5ogfxm said:
3waycross":2k5ogfxm said:
grubbie":2k5ogfxm said:

What do you mean by this.?

I was making reference to the fact that in Wyoming they call people from Colorado Greenies.

Are you calling us HOGS???

I think Rocksprings meant wild pigs.

mnmtranching wish they had passed that deal a few years back where the hunters got a preferance on tags if they had a permission letter from the landowner. Too bad it was twisted by the hunting groups who didn't read it through and torpedoed it.
I have nothing nice to say about FWP.

3waycross":33r4kyaz said:
ROCKSPRINGS":33r4kyaz said:
3waycross":33r4kyaz said:
grubbie":33r4kyaz said:

I was making reference to the fact that in Wyoming they call people from Colorado Greenies.

I think it is very self explanatory, No one is calling you anything. Read it again and try to think about it with out your negative attitude. Here is a hint...( The word HOG is another name for a wild pig. I have alot of HOGS in my area, I would rather have Antelopes than Hogs) :roll: :roll:

ROCKSPRINGS":2kitg2ct said:
3waycross":2kitg2ct said:
ROCKSPRINGS":2kitg2ct said:
3waycross":2kitg2ct said:
grubbie":2kitg2ct said:

I think it is self explanatory, No one is calling you anything. Read it again and think about it. A HOG is a pig. :roll: :roll:

I'm pretty sure I know what a hog is. If you weren't replying to my post why did you quote it. Instead of the original post.

It looks like you were replying to my post.

3waycross":27obpv1j said:
ROCKSPRINGS":27obpv1j said:
ROCKSPRINGS":27obpv1j said:
grubbie":27obpv1j said:

I think it is self explanatory, No one is calling you anything. Read it again and think about it. A HOG is a pig. :roll: :roll:

I'm pretty sure I know what a hog is. If you weren't replying to my post why did you quote it. Instead of the original post.

Forgive me LORD.

ROCKSPRINGS":1ednlg7q said:
3waycross":1ednlg7q said:
grubbie":1ednlg7q said:

Forgive me LORD.

Forget it! I'm more tired of the Greenie thing than anything you said. It gets old after a while.

Dusty Roads":2bguzmns said:
Cant we all just get along?? Wheres the LOVE 8)

You're right! I apologize to everyone for being a testy old fart.

I'm having a REAL bad week, I have a 77yr old father who is failing in every way possible, an 18 yr old son who hasn't made a good decision in 6 months and a darling wife who thinks I can just snap my fingers and fix it all.

Not making excuses just how it is.

Oh I forgot I put 4 replacement heifers over at a friends house all summer to be bred to a low birth weight angus bull and it looks like 2 of them are open. Now that's as low as birth weight gets, 0 lbs.

Sorry I took it out on anyone here!

3waycross":6bf9w8wg said:
Dusty Roads":6bf9w8wg said:
Cant we all just get along?? Wheres the LOVE 8)

You're right! I apologize to everyone for being a testy old fart.

I'm having a REAL bad week, I have a 77yr old father who is failing in every way possible, an 18 yr old son who hasn't made a good decision in 6 months and a darling wife who thinks I can just snap my fingers and fix it all.

Not making excuses just how it is.

Oh I forgot I put 4 replacement heifers over at a friends house all summer to be bred to a low birth weight angus bull and it looks like 2 of them are open. Now that's as low as birth weight gets, 0 lbs.

Sorry I took it out on anyone here!

Hey 3way, You have a right to vent.

50% open, nice. I guess you can fatten the other 2. 18 yr olds have a way of doing everything wrong. Things could be worse you could be in California.

I come with "peace" to offer this thread... it's always the new guy who has to save the day isn't it? :lol:

Now then, to my knoweledge, antelope diets consists almost entirely of >>>forbs<<< (non-woody flowering plants) and brush. Grass makes up a very small part of the diet. Sagebrush can be critical to pronghorn survival during harsh winters when the snow is deep and other forage is unavailable. In a sense, they are really no different than the domestic goats in our yards.

I'd love a few trailer loads of goats for release in my corner of the state. We have thin populations here, and I just love to eat them. They'll mess up the fences now and again, and eat on the crops. I will say that the damage to crops from goats are just as insignificant as are a herd of deer.